water in engine oil in omc cobra (1990)

wlcs

Recruit
I have read through some of the posts on water in oil but am confused. I had a lot of bilge water in my boat due to bad live well pump and when I took it to a shop he said that he found water in the engine oil, drained it, flushed it, tested it and no water back in the oil. after running it only a few times when I got it back it ran OK but then I got another load of water in the bilge from washing down the boat. I did not know the bilge pump was not working and ran the boat. It stalled after about 15 minutes and I checked the oil. It was grey milky with water. Took it in and suggested that the water in the oil may have something to do with me running the boat with water in the bilge. The shop said nonsense that bilge water could not get in the motor in significant quatities. They proceeded to pull the engine found no apparent cracks/leaks. Sent the head to be "magnafluxed". It was OK. They sent the intake and exhaust manifold to be tested. Meanwhile this has taken 2 months. ARe they on the right track? What are the remaining checks? If it is a crack in the block what cost should I expect. Most of the above is feedback from the shop. Is the shop doing what they should be doing. Am I getting hosed?? I know nothing about I/O s. This one came to me when I bought a lake house.

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: water in engine oil in omc cobra (1990)

It is too late now if the motor is all apart but they should have pressure tested the block and then the manifold. This is easy to do and requires little disassembly of the motor. A bad head gasket can cause water to get into the oil also.<br /><br />Sorry to hear about your troubles.

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you have two problems water in the bilge and water in the oil. Unless you sink the boat every time out they are not related. Does your engine ever hydro lock?

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Went back to read your original post. have they checked the shutter in the exhast tube? could be backwashing into the intake..or rain water accumilating on top of flame arrestor running thru the carb into the intake

asbennett

Seaman

Hi - I just "survived" a milky oil in the engine issue. I had the head checked and it was fine. The most common plce for water to enter the oil is the exaust manifold. The water flows in a seperate tube arouond the exaust and if there is a crack in the manifold or the riser it will allow water in the engine oil. I almost pulled the engine until I found a bad riser. Easy and cheap to fix. Good luck - let us know.

wlcs

Recruit

I don't know how to identify whether I had hydrolock. The boat ran for about 15 minutes and then stalled out or bogged down. It would not restart for about 20 minutes. Then it restared and ran but had no power.

sundancer

Cadet

You have a Bad Head Gasket . I bet you have a 4.3 Omc. :cool: