water in cylinders

I did it again; what I don't know, but I definitely did it.<br />I have a 1976 SkiTique with a Ford 351 Windsor in it. I'm not sure when the problem started, but at the end of last summer when the boat was still in the ater, I turned it over w/out the spark plugs in it and water shot out of all 8 cylinders, lots of water, like it was being pumped right into the cylinders. <br />The day before this all happened, the water intake line had broken, I didn't notice, and had the boat out for about 5-10 minutes before bringing it back to the dock and shutting it down. If I remember right there was some water in most of the cylinders at the beginning of the year. Is this gaskets going bad, or did I do something really bad?<br />I have taken the heads off and can not see any signs of engine deterioration, and the heads look fine as well. The gaskets looked a little rough, but not water shooting out of all 8 cylinders rough. <br />Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks,<br />Jeff

tommays

Admiral
Re: water in cylinders

we have more or less the same boat 18 ft correct craft same engine and if you ran it for that much time with no water it had to have gotten smoken hot which i can only gues what that my have tweaked i am sure you smoked the raw water pump<br /><br />it sounds like you reused the head and other gasgets which are a one time shot you need new ones every time a motor is torn down i cant even guess how you went from good running to geting water in all 8 cyl in one step<br /><br />tommays

I haven't put the heads back on yet, just took it all apart last weekend. <br /><br />The water in all 8 cylinders is crazy, never seen or heard of anything like it. Maybe one big POP; I dunno, but I don't think so because...<br /><br />Before I tore the heads off I did a compression test and they didn't seem too far off. I should have done the leak down test, but do not have the right tools at the moment.<br /><br />For the max. pressure test I got like 220 in one cylinder, 180 in six cylinders, and 160 in another.

flashback

Captain

Most of the time, the exhaust manifolds and risers are the culprit. if they have never been changed out, it is long overdue... you can usually expect about 5 years on the manifolds... longer if in fresh water but its not worth the risk to try and get more out of them.........good luck

I don't know if I understand, but are you saying the exhauset manifolds rust out? What is a riser?

Thanks all...you have given me hope that my engine has not met it's maker - so to speak<br /><br />Blk-n-Blu<br /><br />Thanks, if those 2 url's pointing to the same page was on purpose, that's really funny...it answered both my qustions.

mstrhntr

Cadet

Sure sounds like you may have overheated and or cracked the exhaust manifolds and or risers (the part that bolts to the exhaust manifold) If the water comming from the cylinders is lake water and not antifreez this is most likely your problem. If had good luck getting parts from CP performance.com great prices too! good luck

flashback

Captain

Yep, you got it, the manifolds and risers are made out of cast iron. the rust, corrode. or what ever... in any case, they are esential to the cooling system and should be keeping the water which cools them in one place and the hot exhaust in another.... when the water and the exhaust reach the riser they are mixed and expelled thru the exhaust pipes and into the environment, weather it be lake or ocean...if there are any holes, cracks , broken seals, this will compromise the system and cause water to enter where you do not want it.......Hydroloc please get your system checked, most likley it needs to be replaced................. ;) ;)

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

with water in all 8 cylinders i would be taking a real close look at the condition of the intake manifold water passage.

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The intake would be my bet also, although I think he may be chasing more than one cause at this point.

FORMULA1

Cadet

Hello my previous engine had the same type of problem.2 times!! for some reason it sucked water into the cylinders . i went with dry exhaust system with through hull risers stainless steel water is routed one way and the exhaust" it is not mixed together. i have never had to worry about that problem again. so if you change to something new you might want to give it a try.