Water in cylinders

rmeyer33

Recruit
1994 OMC TurboJet 115 on a Boston Whaler Rage 15'. When I flush the engine with a water hose from the house, the bottom 2 cylinders fill up with water. The first few times that I flushed the engine I did not have this problem, but now it happens every time. I just completed putting on a new powerhead and it still happens (as it did with the old powerhead). I believe it is coming through the exhaust ports. Any ideas what would be causing this to occur?<br /><br />Thanks for your help.

Boatman30

Cadet
Re: Water in cylinders

This is just a guess. Maybe your powerhead gasket ripped or moved out of place when the powerhead was installed??? Or maybe there is a crack in the surface or the housing the powerhead sits on.. Does your motor do this on the lake?<br />It maybe also you are putting too much water pressure through the motor with the hose. Try turning the hose on too where the motor has to pull the water out of the hose.<br />My 2 cents.<br />Best of luck,<br />Pat

rmeyer33

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't happen on the water -- only from the hose. From the diagrams of the cooling system, it looks like the cylinders would fill up if there isn't proper exhaust pressure comming from the cylinders. I don't believe this occurs when the engine is running -- meaning it doesn't stall out the engine.

FlingFox

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't happen on the water -- only from the hose. From the diagrams of the cooling system, it looks like the cylinders would fill up if there isn't proper exhaust pressure comming from the cylinders. I don't believe this occurs when the engine is running -- meaning it doesn't stall out the engine.

I did this too- is there any damage to the engine now? It seems to run like before.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

You guys are right. The bottom cylinders will fill with water on the hose when flushing if the engine is not running. Always run the engine when flushing.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

That doesn't seem right.
First, you hook up the hose first then turn on the motor to flush it, so you don't burn out your impeller. So under thsi process, it's normal to flood cylinders?
And won't that water work its way back into the carb system and/or crankshaft area?
And if a boat sits low, catches a stern wave, you launch off a roller trailer, or the variety of things that happen on the water, the cylinders flood?

My Yamaha has a hose hook-up for flushing that you are NOT supposed to run the motor. Surely it's a different design!
Is this this case for all OMC's, certain years/ models, etc? Is a "turbojet" a jet-type motor rather than a prop, and is that the difference?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

My '95 150 manual (not jet) says "Motor can be stopped or running at idle while flushing. Do not flush engine with a water system that exceeds 45psi."

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

To understand you have to inspect a turbojets exhaust. Strange bit of plumbing.
The flush adaptor is installed after the drive is slid back from the shaft. The inlet now bypasses the water pressure regulator. The turbojet works on a 20 psi max cooling system. Hose pressure is just too much unless you're feeding it just a trickle.