Water in bilge?

ulster

Cadet
Have an 86 thundercraft 280magnum,got it in May took it out of the water copule of weekends ago,always 1" to 2" of water in the bilge is this normal?<br />Also in the shower waste pump we had water? found it was coming in from the discharge hose as we would come off plane the water was just forced in, capped it off? (Now dry)however was thinking of putting in a check valve???<br />What do you think.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Water in bilge?

Sounds like you found one of your leaks ( a check valve should solve that problem)now it's time to locate the other(s). I have had several boats over the years that developed leaks, some were engine related, some were thru-hull fitting related, etc. The only advice I can give is to plan a few hours of crawling around the engine compartment with a very bright light. The best time to find this kind of leak is when you first put it in the water and everyhting is dry. You can start by leaving it on the trailer and backing down the ramp untill only the transom is under, if no leaks, slide if off of the trailer and look before starting engines.....you get the idea.

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can also try having someone hose the boat down from the outside while you crawl around inside looking for water coming in. I would look at either the engine compartment vents or the rubrail first.

alternative

Seaman

How does water get in the bilge and is it normal... to have 1" or os in the bilge area? <br />Mine always has water too... even when running bilge for a few minutes there still water that doesnt reach the pump untill moving....? why

Dunaruna

Admiral

In a perfect world there should be no water in the bilge - not one drop. <br /><br />Take rain, riveted alloy boats, timber boats, inboards (never seen a perfectly sealed stuffing box) & skiing out of the equation - can't avoid those.<br /><br />Water can get in the bilge by:<br /> Closed cooling system (should be green or red). Drain plugs, it is possible for them to leak IN but not OUT, filling the bilge to find a leak doesn't always work.<br />Leaking raw water pump/fittings/hoses.<br />leaking manifolds/gaskets/elbows. <br />Bilge pump screws too long (once again, possible to leak in but not out). <br />Transom ring.<br />Last but not least - crack in the hull.<br /><br />Spray from waves can travel down inside the gunwale rubber and drip into the bilge.<br /><br />Aldo

ulster

Cadet

Thanks for the input Guy's <br />I am not going to worry about it.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a word of caution, a small leak can turn into a big one real fast. If you have a little water in the bilge, thats ok, as long as your bilge pump is not auto cycling and keeping it low.