Water in bilge while on muffs

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
After replacing the starter today I attached the muffs and turned on the garden hose. I noticed clear water slowly filling the bilge. Not really filling, maybe a PT or QT in 5 min. This is with the engine off.

There obviously is the hose from the outdrive to the raw water pump. The water seems to be coming from the back of the engine area.

I do not think this was happening with the engine running on muffs but hard to tell.

The engine is a 2012 V8-300 C-A

dubs283

Vice Admiral
If the transom plug is out depending on water pressure/spray pattern it's possible for water from the muffs to enter the bilge area

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
If the transom plug is out depending on water pressure/spray pattern it's possible for water from the muffs to enter the bilge area
While I have not really looked, it's a pipe thread transom plug that has not been removed in a year or two.

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
So there are several parts in the raw water intake. Not a straight run from outdrive to raw water pump

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240610-074420.png
    Screenshot_20240610-074420.png
    385.8 KB · Views: 11

Bondo

Staff member
While I have not really looked, it's a pipe thread transom plug that has not been removed in a year or two.
Ayuh,...... We can't see from here, so lookin' for the leak is on you,.......
A camera at the end of yer arm, will help you see where yer head won't fit,.....

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
I wonder how critical it is? Is the boat sea worthy? My thinking is the garden hose & muffs are pushing water in under some pressure. Not a whole lot as the muffs let a lot of water leak until the engine is started.

Once started on muffs or running in the water the path from the outdrive to the raw water pump is under vacuum.

I certainly will work on this issue. But do I need to resolve the issue before taking the boat out?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in addition to the cell phone to take pics where you cant see. a good flashlight and a mirror on a stick also helps.

Bondo

Staff member
I certainly will work on this issue. But do I need to resolve the issue before taking the boat out?
Ayuh,..... Depending on what it is,... Do you want to risk sinking the boat,.....

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
If it's leaking water under pressure, it will probably be sucking air under vacuum.
Possible overheating and sinking?
Doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
I agree it's not the best. But boat is inside a rack storage building if I am not on the boat.

I just don't want to spend another summer working on my boat rather than using it.

cyclops222

Ensign
Work first to find & fix the GETTING BIGGER leak.
Better than a sudden big leak miles from land.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I get the pain of trying to work these problems out yourself, but water in the bilge, not knowing for sure where it's coming from, that would always be in the back of my mind.

HiWard

Seaman
I would check the and tighten the hose clamp labelled as part no 5 in the drawing posted by Donald0039 in post #4.

tpenfield

Staff member
(1) I wonder how critical it is?

(2) Is the boat sea worthy?

(3) But do I need to resolve the issue before taking the boat out?
I think the consensus answers to your questions are:
(1) Very

(2) No

(3) Yes

It sounds like you may not be really able to check the leak until the boat is in the water. Will you have the ability to get the boat back out of the water once launched? Probably should plan for that possibility.

Making sure water was not leaking from the engine/hoses has always been one of my critical boat pre-season preparation steps. I did have a hose pop off the sea water pump one time while underway, and start filling the bilge with water. It got very exciting real fast.o_O

Make sure your bilge pump is working properly.

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
I would check the and tighten the hose clamp labelled as part no 5 in the drawing posted by Donald0039 in post #4.
I just got a Milwaukee inspection camera.

I will be looking to check and follow the entire path from the outdrive to the raw water pump. Including #5. I have also been replacing the SS spiral clamps with SS constant torque clamps.

Donald0039

Chief Petty Officer
Ok. That was it. I never pull the drain plug. But the marina pulls the drain plug when they pull the boat out of the water to put it on a rack. I was not aware.