water hose kink

ziggy

Admiral
so this thread got me thinking... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=285506
that's my water hose in the pic. i've been slow to go after the repair since to do it right it all has to come back apart...:( and then, i still gotta get that hose all the way on the nipple, which is the crux of my bad deal... i really tried to get it on. granted i didn't use the mercruiser power tuner. next time i will. but in the mean time...
it might be possible to get to the bellhouseing end easier. i don't know, but at least ya can see it. so, i'm thinking perhaps bondo has a good idea. twisting the hose to get the curve right. or. in my case. since the problem is i couldn't get the hose one all the way on the nipple on the transom shield side. perhaps if i cut a little off the bellhouseing end? + twist it to get the kink out....
i know. do it right... but i'm already past that. the rest of that project worked well, so i'm trying to think if it'd be worth it to try to engineer it to get the kink gone. am i just dreaming that i might get away with either the twist or cutting off a half inch or so at the bellhouseing side, that i couldn't get at the transom shield side?

one of my concerns to go after it proper is the small nails. i don't know how many times ya can bend them before they break... the small nails are nla best i know...

suppose i could leave it alone too. i really felt like i was cool all summer... even took 30 pics one day for lack of something to do while out by myself on day.. this is what i think is a normal temp reading.. mid august, don't remember the temp out. but i'd guess mid 90's outside air temp....
IMG_3660.jpg

this is after stopping for a short time. heat soak..
IMG_3702.jpg

moments later...
IMG_3703.jpg

moments later...
IMG_3704.jpg

a near wot run...
IMG_3668-1.jpg

so anyways... i think i need to approch my kinkieness...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: water hose kink

one of my concerns to go after it proper is the small nails. i don't know how many times ya can bend them before they break... the small nails are nla best i know...

Ayuh,...

They're Aluminum, right,..??

If so,...
Find a Welding Shop that does aluminum,...
They can give you a few inches of aluminum welding rod,+ you can make your own...
Welding rod comes in Many diameters,... I gotta believe 1 of them will be Close enough...

ziggy

Admiral

They're Aluminum, right,..??
i don't know..... they're not magnetic..... guess i was under the impression they was special ss that could be bent, not that i've ever seen any ss that could be bent.... maybe they is aluminim... that'd be better... probably be easy for a machinist to make some then....

was looking at it a bit ago. looks like if i got rid of the exhust bellows, i might even get my finger on the hose.... least both hose camps on the water hose and exhust bellows are pointing down for access... still contemplateing... it just seems yer idea of at least giving it a twist should be attempted (if ya can get the hose loose from the nipple), the cutting off a little is my bright idea. one step further than the twist, if i fail, nothing lost. then i just go for doing it proper...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The nails are definitely not SS - I too think they are aluminum. But other than not looking original there are probably many options you could use including what Bondo mentions.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I don't mean to step in where i haven't been 'invited'...but those posted temperature shots, seem to be safely in the 'green', even under throttle.

Assuming that the guage is reasonably accurate...and you were running in reasonably warm conditions...I, personally, would not be too concerned.

Could it be that the hose loses some of it's restriction, under operating pressures?

:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Assuming that the guage is reasonably accurate...and you were running in reasonably warm conditions...I, personally, would not be too concerned.

Or just put some tape over the gauge so you don't see it. Same results, you are just avoiding the issue that there is a problem, and it will get worse.

Ziggy, just cut off the hose an equal amount that the hose will not go onto the tube. I also learned to use the OEM hose (NOT heater hose) and use the natural bend in the hose to your advantage. The OEM hoses don't kink as easily as heater hose, but they will if they are too long, or not all the way on the transom shield. I have also found that once the kink, you might as well start over with a new hose, because they will kink again.

Bondo

Staff member

I don't mean to step in where i haven't been 'invited'...

Ayuh,.... There ain't no Inviting here at iboats,...
Ya just jump right in wherever you need to say something...;)

Hey Ziggy,....
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time,
But always enough time to do it again
?
:D:D

ziggy

Admiral

yes rocky road, please help me out. all info is appreciated. and i'm glad you brought up your point. if you didn't i woulda. that was the reason for the pics of the gages. i'd a gave temp readings, but alas, my gage has no numbers.. thanks. i personally wonder how it gets any water at all with the kink as bad as it is... so. then i need to look at like this.
you are just avoiding the issue that there is a problem, and it will get worse.
i believe that statement, especially concerning boats....

this is what i wanted to hear.
just cut off the hose an equal amount that the hose will not go onto the tube
exactly what i think will be my first attempt to deal with this. at the bellhouseing end. we'll see. bet that hose is on pretty good after a hundred hours or so... might be hard to remove, but i do get to cut it. so maybe there's hope..

this hose is quiksilver 32-47642, hose, 49''. made in Wisconsin i might add.... American made... :D. i did also try to go with the natural bend of the hose on install. but not getting it on the nipple on the transom shield just didn't get it... this is pretty much what i expected was gonna happen prior to even doing it. i still cuse that hose for hosein me on install.. i remember sequence of events all too well.

as for this
Hey Ziggy,.... Quote:
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time,
But always enough time to do it again
?

:D:D
ya just had to say it didn't ya.....;) i deserved it.... now i'm gonna get to pay for the misdeeds i've done... :(

sure do appreciate everyones input.... now to find a day to go do the deed in the driveway in nebraska, in the winter. working on a nice frozed hose.......:( may take me a day or two to warm up to the idea.....

Roman S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A heater, hair dryer, heat gun, will help things out. Carefully warn the hose and bell housing that you are going to work on. It will make it like summer, in Nebraska for those parts.
That hose needs to be changed!
Roman

ziggy

Admiral

That hose needs to be changed!
i'm convinced...

funny how the mind works.... i read what i wanted,
just cut off the hose an equal amount that the hose will not go onto the tube.
and i'll do that if i can't get the hose on the next time. but this time its too late... i got the kink...

this morning, just prior to wakeing up, while dreaming. this came to my mind while still asleep...
I have also found that once the kink, you might as well start over with a new hose, because they will kink again.
funny how long it takes for info to sink in sometimes. in my case, this time, 18 or so hours, :rolleyes: geez..... so guess i'll just plan on doing it right... the 2nd time.... :(
not really looking fwd. to fighting that hose again.... but thems the breaks and ya gotta pay for the sins of your (my) ways..... now. back to the nails... just kidding... hope i don't break them is all i can think. guess i'll cross that bridge when i get there.... at least now i know what i'll need to do... knew it to start with, but just had to try and see if i could get away with being a slacker.... not likely i guess....

Don S

Those nails are available Ziggy. The new ones are 1/8" in diameter, and you have to drill out the drive and the pin to fit, real pain if you break the bit. What I normally do is use a piece of the wire from an old shift cable and stick it thru the hole and bend over about 3/8" on each side. This makes them a lot easier to get out the next time. Or find a SS cotter pin that's long enough. Coat either with some gasket sealer to prevent corrosion and future removal problems.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Hey Zig, Looks like if you can get the one end off or loose and twist it a bit that the kink may straighten out quite alot. Someone befor me had drilled into my pins and made a mess. I put stainless cotter pins in and stainless wired them around thehousing so the wouldn't come out. I keep an eye on them and they have done well all season.

ziggy

Admiral

well, i so far have saved the nails. they're removed and hammered straight, again. time will tell if they can be bent again w/o breaking them... sounds like there is recourse if they do... that's cool...

as for twisting that water hose while installed. i don't see it happening. no way to get anything in there to twist it with. along with that. i think the kink woulda come back anyways... i gave up doing that pretty quick...

bellhouseing off now and in the basement. gonna replace that stupid hose.....

so that's where i'm at now.... basement work to do. then the fun of putting it back. i can't wait....

Don S

I have a list of some other "Short Cuts" if you want to try them :p :p ;)

Bondo

Staff member

well, i so far have saved the nails. they're removed and hammered straight, again. time will tell if they can be bent again w/o breaking them...

Ayuh,...

If you can Warm them to about 600? with a torch,+ let'em cool....
They'll be annealed,+ easily bend again, without Breaking...