Water flow?

Josh James

Cadet
I have a 1979 140hp Evinrude and I have 2 ports on the back of my engine that look like they are big "pee holes". I'm new to Boating and just bought my boat(first). I do know on newer motors have water spraying out of a "pee hole" and I do Have water flowing out these ports not at a very high pressure. The ports are about a half inch in dia. Am I missing a pee hole or is this engine supposed to be like this. Do I need much pressure out of these holes <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water flow?

Hi Josh<br /><br />The older Rudes and Johnny's didn't have the "pee hole". The discharge from the holes you are posting isn't much as the majority exits the engine through the prop. It may increase a little once the t-stats open. Usually though, it's just kind of a misty spray. Hope we've helped with your question.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Water flow?

In addititon to what OBJ said, I think the holes you are talking about are the exhaust reliefs. These take the back-pressure of the water off the exhaust when starting the engine.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty