Water flow diagram

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have a good diagram or detailed description of how water flows in the Chrysler engines? I have a 1973 70hp, if it matters. I am just curious of the direction and where it goes and all if that makes any sense. Hope someone understands what I am asking for. Thanks guys.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water flow diagram

From the water pump. water flows up the brass tube. The brass tube attaches to the match plate with a rubber grommet. Water flows into the center of the match plate and makes a 90 degree turn toward the 1/2 inch pipe threaded plug on the side of the match plate. It then goes vertical past the bypass valve and into the forward compartment of the exhaust chest. At the top, it divides and some flows down the cover plate and back chamber while some goes around the cylinders.

Since the exhaust chest must ALWAYS be cooled, the water constantly flows in it and exits into the midleg.

A small amount of water flows around the cylinders and through the weep hole in the thermostat-this allows the plug the expand and open the thermostat when the water gets hot. When the thermostat opens, More water flows around the cylinders, down the head, and again, into the midleg.

The used water will exit from the idle relief holes and with the exhaust.

In, then out! LOL

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks frank.

I stumbled upon a post from a while back that you laid out water flow. I have a diagram I found also, go figure, in the manual I have. It shows the same thing, except I get confused because it almost seems like water flows to the back side of the thermostat. In other words, it seems like the head cover fills with water and then flows through the thermostat. If that were the case, then it seems like you would not get much flow from the tell tale when installed on the thermostat housing, via the threaded stainless plug already there.

I am in no way saying you are wrong, I will post a pic tomorrow of the one I have in my manual. Maybe you can help me with it if you don't mind. Thank again, there is a lot of info floating around in that head of yours, who knows, maybe one day they will make a device that you can just "hook up" too and down load all the info for people to see.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So here is the diagram off my manual. The way it is drawn, once again, is showing the water coming up to the backside of the thermostat(spring side) then flowing to the "pointed" side. If this were the case, then the picture right below shows that the thermostat is pointed inward, with the spring side pointed away from the block.

Am I just being really ignorant and just not catching something? I have not done it jet, but I will sit down with the actual parts in hand with the motor and try to visualize it. It is a matter of curiosity more than anything, except for the fact that the threaded plug that is used to add a tell tale is on the back side of the thermostat (pointed side) which by indication of the diagram means that a flow should not be seen in full force until it is opened.

But that goes against everything that I have been reading, unless that weep hole you spoke about, frank, lets enough water by to be seen coming out of the tell tale. Oh well, that is really the least of my problems, but I thought I would try to figure it out anyways.

Attachments

• water flow.jpg
    water flow.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 0

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was a horribly small picture, lets try this again.

Attachments

• water flow.JPG
    water flow.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 0

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know if you can go by the diagram re thermostat flow direction or not. You could check it by running water through the motor with the thermostat housing off and seeing which hole the water comes out of. If I remember when my thermostat comes in I can check it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The diagram is correct! You are confused because of the way it is drawn. In the diagram you are looking at the cylinders with water flow to the old style thermostat which was located at the very top of the head and water only flowed down a cast in tube.

In the diagram, Left part is the exhaust chest, middle is the cylinders, and right side is the head. Elementary my dear Watson!

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see, kindof, lol. I am just going to take your word for it Sherlock. Another thanks is due once again. How does it feel to be so stinking smart? Lol

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My thermostat arrived today and I remembered to run it briefly with the housing off. Water came out the top, round hole.