water entering thru transom assembly

BuzzM

Seaman
I have a 1983 mercruiser 5.7 gm with a pre-alpha drive serial 6817160. I was investigating an oil slick in the bildge. I started the engine and noticed water leaking into the bilge from a small machined hole just above the water inlet neck. It is on the transom assembly straight up above the engine shaft. It is not pouring in, more like an intermittant sputtering, like an auto waterpump leaking through a weephole.
I had the bellows & water pump replaced, & drive serviced 2 years ago professionally.
This may be unrelated, but I noticed that the oil pressure is a bit high ( 40psi at idle/ 60 psi at speed ) and the exhaust tone changes occasionally, regardless of trim position.
Any ideas?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: water entering thru transom assembly

either the bellows is leaking from some type of damage or incorrect installation or the mounting gasket/large rubber sealing ring is damaged or dislodged.

BuzzM

Seaman

Should I be able to see such damage by raising the drive as high as
possible after trailering? I hate to spend $ 700 again for a bellows / seal
job after only 2 years, so I may attempt this myself.
Thanks for the quick response.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Pull the drive and see if there`s water inside,If the drive is stored in the up position for an extened time ,it can cause the boot to tear when lowered.
700 seems a bit on the high end,a complete kit is only 200.Labor should be around 4 hrs.

BuzzM

Seaman

Will do. The boat is kept in a slip year round here in SE Texas. I had some damage to the top cover of the outdrive when the swim platform was knocked off during Katrina. but I doubt that could have caused this problem.
When I reinstall the drive, should I use perfect seal on the gaskets & o-rings?
I know to use bellows adhesive if I do that work myself. I have a seloc manual and know where to find the mercruiser manual .pdf online.
thx again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The large rubber ring MUST BE GLUED in place in the pivot housing,
water passage O ring can be glued or some perfect seal to hold it in place,
lightly grease the O rings where the drive shaft passes thru the gimbal bearing,and grease the drive shaft.

BuzzM

Seaman

I chickened out and took it in to the shop. They said that there was a small hole in the u-joint bellows. I looked at the old one and didn't see such a hole, but I may have missed it. The rubber was still very good. No idea what caused it, since I always lower it and it is kept in a fresh water slip. They changed the exhaust bellows from the flex type to a sold tube that doesn't extend into the drive when it is raised. They said it was a revision.
Anyway, for the bellows reseal ( exhaust, u-joint, & shift ) along with a new shift cable, gimble bearing ( came with the bellows kit ), new water pump / impellor, & fluid change... $ 963.
Anyone have any suggestions that will help these last longer?
thx

Bondo

Staff member

Anyone have any suggestions that will help these last longer?

Ayuh,...........
At only 2 years old,....... It Must have been Damaged by something........

Whatever you Did to it,..................... Don't do it Again..........................:)

BuzzM

Seaman

thx... I just wish I knew what I did. Leaves me wondering if the job done 2 1/2 years ago was done correctly.
Oh well, water under the bilge.
take care