Water doesn't burn, or "Why won't my motor run??"

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I sold a nice, clean 1970s era Johnson 6hp to a guy this summer. He talked me down on price a bit at the time, saying I could keep the gas tank & hose. Said he had one already. Fine with me, I'll sell the tank with the next motor.

Anyway, flash forward a couple months. The guy calls me and says his arm is sore from pulling on that *&@#^ motor. It barely starts and won't stay running. Says I sold him a piece of junk. I say bring it by and I'll take a look at it. I pull the spark plugs out and they're WET. Water wet! I undo the fuel line from the carb, hook up his tank and prime it a couple times into a jar. Nothing but water!! So, I set up a siphon into his tank, tilted so all the water goes into one corner. Took out about a quart of water before it sucked fuel! It's a wonder the thing started at all for him! I pull the drain plug no the bottom of the carb bowl, prime through until nothing comes out the carb but clean fuel. Then rope it over a few times to get the worst of the water out of the cylinders, put in clean spark plugs and it started first pull!

I called the guy and told him what I'd found. He swore he put fresh fuel into the tank he had. I asked what was in the tank before he filled it. He said there was about a half gallon of old fuel, figured it would be fine if it was diluted 5 gallons of fresh. I'm betting his old "fuel" was nothing but water...

Ugh....

Attachments

• WaterInTheGas_1067.jpg
    WaterInTheGas_1067.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Water doesn't burn, or "Why won't my motor run??"

A cool 50 bucks for your efforts? I woulda!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Heck ya I charged him for my time!!

keefallan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was he still cussin' then?........................humble pie.....................humble pie.:embarassed:

How in the world do you get that much water in a 6 gallon tank? Especially when it was almost empty:eek:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

He had no explanation. Didn't really apologize, either... He did act kinda sheepish, which I guess is the closest I'll get.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

This thread made me lol

:lol: