water deflectors

elhombre

Seaman
would like to understand the function of water deflectors. they seem like an afterthought. I have a 150hp x-flow v6 ,been told they prevent water from draining from the top of the block too quickly. it occurs to me that the water cooled rectifier in the top of the block may be the primary reason for these "deflectors", any thoughts ? appreciate all/any feedback.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: water deflectors

Motors without water cooled regulators also have deflectors. They control the flow path of water in the block to get the water to go where they want it to go.

elhombre

Seaman
Re: water deflectors

Motors without water cooled regulators also have deflectors. They control the flow path of water in the block to get the water to go where they want it to go.
makes sense,F R. It still seems to me that little rubber hose sections strategicly placed in the water jacket to facillitate something as critical as cooling would have to be a retrofit to fix a problem with the initial engineering. I don't mean to "beat a dead horse" here, but I just replaced the water deflectors in my block, one was "split open" and partially blocking the water flow to the cylinder that overheated. I'm trying to I.D. the culprit here. My boat stays in "brackish" water for the duration of the season and doesn't get fresh water rinsed enough. the split deflector was obviously deteriorated from a lack of fresh water rinse (salt build-up). Any hard core salt water people out there dealing with deflector issues like this?