Water coming out top spark plug

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last weekend I had a problem that water was loading up inside motor housing of my 1986 Merc 35HP. I *thought* that my only problem was that the fitting for the tattle tale line was leaking. Now that I looked closer, water is coming out the top spark plug pretty good. How serious is this problem and what are my next steps?

tmiller4090

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Water coming out top spark plug

i had the same thing happen to a 70 hp merc. the motor had over heated and cracked the jug and was sucking water into the cylinder(not good)and water was coming out from the spark plug.test compression or remove the water jacket to see if this is what happpened.<br /> good luck,<br /> Troy

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure what the jugis, but I'm assuming that's not a easily fixable problem. I'm hoping for a bad gasket. The motor seems to run fine at low speeds right now. I'll try to pull the head cover plate off tomorrow and check the damage. <br /><br />If there is a terminal problem, I'll be needing a good divorce lawyer.....

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Probably just the bad head gasket as you suspect or check the exhaust manifold gasket/plate for warpage and leakage. I assume the water is leaking from around the sparkplug hole right?<br />Why the divorce lawywer?

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THe water is coming out just the top plug hole right now. It looks like the head plate cover should be easy to remove and replace the gasket.<br /><br />I'll need the divorce lawyer if the motor is terminal as my wife will kill me for wasting money on the boat/motor.....

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Next step should be to get a manual for your motor. Next would be to do a compression check. I suspect that you are on the right track.