Water coming out between engine and bellhousing

ferebeem

Cadet
I've got a 86 Baretta bowrider with a mercruiser and alpha 1 outdrive. The other day I hooked up the ear muffs to the boat and started it up. It runs fine, but the is a lot of water coming out between the engine and bellhousing right by the starter. Any suggestions as to what might be happening. Is there any freeze plugs back there? Thanks

tommays

Admiral
Re: Water coming out between engine and bellhousing

Not much info BUT I would say you pushed out a plug and if your really luckey thats ALL :( <br /><br /><br />tommays

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Yes there are core plugs back there & you will have to pull the motor & bellhousing to get to them....Like Tom says, pray it is that & not a cracked block......JK<br />Welcome to iboats, BTW :)

ferebeem

Cadet

Thank you for the welcome. First time boat owner and have this problem. Too much fun. I am hoping it is the freeze plug. There is a lot of water coming in while running. I was afraid that I would have to pull engine. Going to attempt this weekend.

ferebeem

Cadet

Since I will have to pull the engine to check the freeze plugs, should I look at anything else or replace anything else?

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

If you gotta ask this question...you shouldn't be pulling your motor. Does your engine oil look like a milk shake?

ferebeem

Cadet

oil is fine. Engine runs great. Since the freeze plugs are on the backside of the engine, I have to pull the motor to get to them. What I'm asking should I replace anything else since the motor will be out.

KaGee

Admiral

Well, you have to pull the drive, so you'll be looking at least to doing your normal drive maintenance... so you'll need a "kit" and an alignment tool to properly put it back together.<br /><br />Be a good time to replace the impeller while the drive is off.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you dont have one already, You can put in one of those oil drain hoses so you dont have to suck the oil out when you change it...

ferebeem

Cadet

Well it was a freeze plug. Getting everything else fix or maintenance while the engine is out. Thanks for all the advice.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Glad to hear it was an easy one. You did replace the core plugs with brass and not steel, right?

mole2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you still have it out and it's not a 3.0L and it doesn't already have a remote oil filter (whew) I would recommend you install a remote oil filter kit also. It will make changing the filter so much easier. :)