Water coming in????

SVFreddy

Cadet
First time poster, First time boat owner. (I know right)

So I looked around a little but couldnt find anything directly related to my problem, I have a I/O boat with a 98' mercruiser 3.0 alpha one drive. Problem is, I'm not sure but is it normal for water to be coming in from the exhaust tube where it should normally be flowing out? it collects at the bottom of the engine bay and im pretty sure thats not normal.
I think it was even doing it out of water with the muffs on it. Could it be that something is clogged? Maybe a bad water shutter/flapper? Or not sealed tight enough?
This is happening just below the elbow/riser where the rubber meets the metal.
Any info would help, thanks!boatwater.JPG

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water coming in????

First of all Welcome to iboats. I'm sure that there will be someone on here that will be able to help you out.. I have been looking at your picture and can't make heads or tails out of it.. LOL I sure doesn't look like my Chevy exhaust. But on mine there is water coming out of the exhaust for cooling. But at least this will "bump" you back to the top and hopefully someone will jump in and help..

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman

It seems your rubber exhaust coupling is leaking. That big metal tube is aluminum and corrodes easily from salt water or just the acids that are formed in exhaust. When you pull the rubber coupling off, you will notice (usually) major pitting type corrosion all around the metal where the rubber covers it. Coat the inside of the rubber and outside of the metal where they join with a recommended sealant. Let the sealant set (1-24 hours depending on the sealant) then tighten the hose clamps.

That should do it.

John

SVFreddy

Cadet

Thanks...This is a random picture from the net. But works to point out where im taking in water when the motor is running, I think its called the bellows?

SVFreddy

Cadet

It seems your rubber exhaust coupling is leaking. That big metal tube is aluminum and corrodes easily from salt water or just the acids that are formed in exhaust. When you pull the rubber coupling off, you will notice (usually) major pitting type corrosion all around the metal where the rubber covers it. Coat the inside of the rubber and outside of the metal where they join with a recommended sealant. Let the sealant set (1-24 hours depending on the sealant) then tighten the hose clamps.

That should do it.

John

Thanks John, So basically,No, I shouldn't have water coming in from there. Is there a shutter/flap I need to be careful for?

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Yes there is a flapper/shutter inside the exhaust down tube. It keeps water from coming back into your motor. Just inspoect when you remove the hose.

Do yourself a favor and start reading up on your boat/motor and outdrive.

Happy Boating!

SVFreddy

Cadet

Yes there is a flapper/shutter inside the exhaust down tube. It keeps water from coming back into your motor. Just inspoect when you remove the hose.

Do yourself a favor and start reading up on your boat/motor and outdrive.

Happy Boating!
Thanks, And trust me, I'm well on my way to learning as much as I can about my boat and boats in general. I'm pretty mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but boats, Wow there's a lot more then I had originally thought. I'm glad I ran across this website :)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Post away Freddy.... iboats will be there for you!

Good Luck to you and your new to you boat!

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks, And trust me, I'm well on my way to learning as much as I can about my boat and boats in general. I'm pretty mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but boats, Wow there's a lot more then I had originally thought. I'm glad I ran across this website :)

Ayuh,.... All the Greatest Info ya need is up in the Adults Only section, at the top of this forum..... ;)

SVFreddy

Cadet

Ok, So after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that water was coming in from there while the muffs were on and out of water. could that mean that the shutter might be damaged or stuck? causing a back up of sorts? You would think out of water it would have no resistance in the exhaust system and it would just pour out freely, Not leak in from around the rubber? Thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member

Ok, So after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure that water was coming in from there while the muffs were on and out of water. could that mean that the shutter might be damaged or stuck? causing a back up of sorts? You would think out of water it would have no resistance in the exhaust system and it would just pour out freely, Not leak in from around the rubber? Thoughts?

Ayuh,.... Until ya go LOOK,..... No real reason to keep Guessin'.....

Go pull the riser off the manifold, 'n peer down the pipe, you should be lookin' at shutters....

If ya Ain't,... pull the drive, 'n find the pieces, then put in a new set....

My last Guess is, the shutters got burnt up from a lack of water, 'n fell apart,...
The shaft dropped down the pipe, got lodged, 'n wore a Hole in the pipe...

The rubber flex coupler you can change in the boat,...
The down pipe needs the motor pulled 1st....