Waste Treatment System

Shepest

Cadet
I just came across a houseboat that had a "Raritan Head with Type 1 Purasan Waste Treatment System." I've never seen a boat for sale before with a treatment system. Could someone explain to me how they work? I've checked the internet but find just sale pitches. I also want to know if they are legal on all U.S. lakes and water ways or just certain ones. The ads I see say "U.S. Cost Guard approved", but does approved mean able to use everywhere?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Last edited:

Shepest

Cadet
Re: Waste Treatment System

Thanks JoLin but that info really stinks. I saw a really nice boat but it has a waste system and according to what you sent me KS is a 'no discharge zone'. Which i guess means i would have to change out the system to a holding tank. And seeing how shipping it from KY to KS would coat around 8K adding this new cost is making a $10,000 boat a little pricey. Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Yeah, stuff like Purasan and systems with overboard discharge crop up on boats built 30 or more years ago. Are you certain that boat doesn't have a holding tank? If it did, it might be pretty easy to bypass the Purasan and go directly to the tank. Just a thought.

Shepest

Cadet

The ad didn't say that it had a holding tank. It's pretty much been redone so I would think if it did they would say. I'll post the link. I how this works. I love the inside except for the fact that it doesn't appear to have any closet space. I guess if I would to plan to stay on in for long periods with just myself I could convert the two bunk space into closet and storage. Thanks for your help.

Houseboat For Sale-1973 Stardust 11' x 48'-$10,000-Conley Bottom Marina in Monticello, Kentucky

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Not my cup of tea, but looks like a great way to live on the (calm) water. I'd say here's a good chance that the installed setup provides a choice between onboard waste storage and overboard discharge. I'd ask the question directly, including how large the waste tank is. My .02 says there's a waste tank with pumpout.

Enjoy the 'free' jetski, but don't be a pest with it... :)

Good luck!

alldodge

Staff member

The ad didn't say that it had a holding tank. It's pretty much been redone so I would think if it did they would say. I'll post the link. I how this works. I love the inside except for the fact that it doesn't appear to have any closet space. I guess if I would to plan to stay on in for long periods with just myself I could convert the two bunk space into closet and storage. Thanks for your help.

Houseboat For Sale-1973 Stardust 11' x 48'-$10,000-Conley Bottom Marina in Monticello, Kentucky

Give them a call and ask about a holding tank. The boat is on lake Cumberland and it is a no discharge lake.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm almost positive the boat WILL have a holding tank. The "treated" waste is pumped FROM the tank. For the record, simple macerated waste is considered "treated", but don't you dare pump it into the water unless you're halfway between Burmuda and the Canary Islands!

Shepest

Cadet

AllDogde -Give them a call and ask about a holding tank. The boat is on lake Cumberland and it is a no discharge lake.

According to the broker, this waste system is approved for Cumberland.

alldodge

Staff member

AllDogde -Give them a call and ask about a holding tank. The boat is on lake Cumberland and it is a no discharge lake.

According to the broker, this waste system is approved for Cumberland.

Then it has to have a holding tank. So if you decide to buy it have them put it in writing that the system meets the requirements as specified. Maybe even spell out that it has a holding tank. If it doesn't when you get it you have the right to suit, not that interstate suits would be very easy. Keep in mind the broker is not legally bound by the agreement (not their boat)

Might just want to pass unless you pay to have it surveyed or find someone to at least take a look for you