Wasn't his day

Status
Not open for further replies.

puma4440

Seaman Apprentice
I work at a lake, and I see alot of what is written here on a daily basis, but last summer I had a group that not only took the cake, but they robbed the bakery as well.

I was making my rounds around the project, and as I came down the hill to the boat launch, I seen a group of 7 people standing around a truck on the ramp, most were on their hands and knees. One person spotted me, and they formed a human chain infront of the truck(early 80's Dodge), so I couldn't see what was going on.

I drove down the ramp, and seen red fluid all over the ramp, with an oil slick in the water...tranny I thought to myself as I got out. As I approached, I saw lots of rope and ratchet straps on the ground, and a FUEL TANK! The straps holding the tank on had rotted off, and his tank dropped, spilling the off road fuel(illegal) he was running.

I called the state police out, the fish and boat commission, and the spill response team. After all of the drama that took place, it cost the owner close to $13,000 in fines.

fireman57

Captain
Re: Wasn't his day

Sounds like he had a bad day that was not totally his fault. Seems like the fuel tank straps breaking was something that was out of his control. It could just as easily been a brake line or a hose that no one would have control over. Who checks these things before they take their vehicle out? Do you check every line, strap, hose, or connection before you get in your vehicle? No. When it breaks it breaks and then you do your best to fix it. Seems like they were doing their best to get the vehicle out of there. I know that they were running illegal fuel but that is the worst that they did. Check any farmers truck and you will see it in there too. I'm not saying that it is right but they were nailed running it because of an unforseen wear issue. This is just my opinion, and you did do the proper legal thing, but it seems that they could have used some help rather than 13,000 dollars in fines. You didn't say how much fuel was spilled or how much reached the water but if it wasn't much I think that this is a little excessive. I know that I will get beat up for posting this but things happen everyday that aren't in someone's control but they are punished severely for them. The only thing that they did wrong was running farm diesel instead of paying the exhorbitant tax and running road diesel. If it had been legal fuel would you have done the same thing or would you have helped them get the truck off the ramp and put some oil drying agent on the fuel and helped them clean it up?

Summer Fun

Banned

I called the state police out, the fish and boat commission, and the spill response team. After all of the drama that took place, it cost the owner close to $13,000 in fines.
Are you PROUD of that ?? instead of helping the guy out !!!. :mad:

At my marina we can clean up any spill that might happen without calling Johnny Law. :)

rickryder

Commander

Seems to be a problem in this day and age......what ever happened to compassion to our fellow man?????

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I work at a lake............

I was making my rounds around the project........

I called the state police out, the fish and boat commission, and the spill response team......

Sounds more like to OP was doing his JOB.

Granted, the fines are rediculous, but if it would have been LEGAL fuel I doubt that there would have been prosecution for an accident.

I've seen similar fuel spills on the freeway and at freeway rest area, same response teams, but no prosecution for an accidental spill. Insurance Co was charged for the cleanup.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I kind of agree and think the op made the right choice. We all know how hard it is to find work these days and if he would have just turn face and walked away and done nothing about it then it would have come back on him. Not to mention its his job. The guy was using illegal fuel anyway, and having an unsafe vehical. As much as it does suck, he should have to pay up for his lack of responsibility.

sdilecce

Cadet

I would have offered him some bugie cords to hold up his tank, and a tow strap to get his truck off of the ramp. Unless the guy was a total jerk, the police would be the last people I would have called.

But that's just me...
:rolleyes:

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dunno. If it was his Job then yeah he was doing his job. I would've gone a step further and asked them to help clean up the diesel spill. If it wasn't my job, I wouldve suggested they pick up the tank, put it in the bed where it wouldn't leak (leak side up maybe) then pulled them up the ramp with a chain. Then highly suggested they get some dirt to soak up the diesl that hadn't gotten into the water and shovel contaminated stuff in the truck then calla tow.

fireman57

Captain

badkins I didn't say he made the wrong choice I simply said that I think there was better choice. You say that it is hard to find work these days insinuating that is why you would make the choice he did. I also stated that yes, his only crime was using illegal fuel. The only difference in the fuel is a dye and more tax. I never advocated that he do nothing, in fact I think that he should have helped them and hold them responsible for helping clean up the ramp. If he helped them and they cleaned up the mess I don't feel he would have lost his job because of that. You accused the truck driver of having an unsafe vehicle. the next time that you are driving and blow a radiator hose and spew antifreeze (which according to the law is a hazardous material) I guess that you should have to pay up for your lack of responsibility. That goes for brake fluid, transmission fluid, or gasoline should the hose/line on your vehicle rupture. Don't forget that I already admitted that he was running illegal fuel. Are you willing to pony up 13,00 dollars because you blow a line on the ramp and some gets in the water? Should I call the State Police, Conservation people, and the EPA Feds on you or should I try to help you? I am not saying this about you or any worker anywhere but it seems some people are not happy unless they can make someone's more miserable than theirs is but they are the first ones to scream when something happens to them. I appreciate people that do their jobs well but am very dismayed with the Barney Fife's of the world that cause more grief than they should.

Mods: Please let me know if I have overstepped any boundaries. I am not trying to provoke anyone but do feel strongly when people are accused of something they didn't do. In this case, it is operating an unsafe vehicle. Also, we do not have the information that was asked for such as how much fuel actually made it into the water, is he obligated by his employer to report spills such as this, do they include fuel from a bilge etc...? I also can only assume that he did not try to help them as he never stated whether he did or not. If the people were confrontational then he has no choice but to call the police but it seems that he called every law enforcement agency possible. There is a lot of assuming going on. Sorry, just really jacked up about things lately but if I am out of bounds please let me know.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i can't say much about red or green fuel > my uncle runs red on is commercial trucks [on-road use] its cheaper and really only comes down to epa crap but if they guy had called them proper people as it happend there would probably be less fines and or coverd by insurence unless he didnt have any. however it may have happend i can tell you gas tanks do just fall off! i loaded a f 450 dump truck a month ago when i moved the truck the gas tank was sitting on the ground its only held up by 2 1/4 or less metal straps that rust out probably why the guy had ratchet straps on it. hell of a lot easyer to change fuel pump and put the tank back in place, but still a bad way to fix things.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

:rolleyes:I'm sure they had every intention of sticking around to clean up the mess:rolleyes:

Sixmark

There was a very good point brought up in this conversation however "how many of you actually check your vehicles before you drive them?"

While many people do not check their vehicles before they drive them, it doesn't exactly mean it's ok to do, how long would it really take to do at least a walk around on a vehicle?.........think about it.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fireman, like I said I kind of agree. My entire point is, he is dealing with something that is illegal to begin with. As a worker or a fellow boater I personally would have tried to help the guy out weather it be on the water or on the road (unless of course he was a total a-hole). I think if things happen on the side of the road it is easier to contain and clean but in water where it can be screwing up alot of other things, well lets just let the right people that know what they are doing and get paid for it, do it. You are right we just don't know the entire story. I do believe people should be responsible for their actions no matter what. People that don't take responsibility for their problems pee me off a lot worse than the Barney Fife's of the world.

We just don't know all the facts and we all know what people say about opinions :).

Port Monster

Cadet

Having worked a long time for Government - some of which was in the enforcement field - I can tell you straight up that the people you try to help are the first to dime you out. All it takes is 10 seconds and they point the finger right at you. It sucks but in this day and age turning your back on an environmental issue (as small as it may be) is often cause to loose your job. So - report the gas spill or sit in unemployment; I am reporting. Now - with that said the OP did seem to have a smug attitude about it so while I do not blame him for reporting he doesn't have to be proud of it!!

fireman57

Captain

I think that it is odd that puma4440 has not come back to fill in some blanks. I feel kind of bad about my replies without knowing all the facts. It would help if he would clear it up some. If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

great job... you must feel really good. I mean you called not only one but three LEO office's what an over acheiver. I could only hope some one would do the same for you

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree, it is strange that he hasnt been back to shed some light on the subject. I have been in Law Enforcement for approximately 7 years now and have to say that yes sometimes I do feel good jamming someone up. However those are the people with attitudes, if they want to argue I tell them that is what court is for. As far as the average Joe or Jane citizen I will actually try my best to give them a break if I can, (obviously depends on what they did).

I cant really comment on Puma's actions as I was not there and his post leaves a lot to speculation.

Sixmark

Fireman, like I said I kind of agree. My entire point is, he is dealing with something that is illegal to begin with. As a worker or a fellow boater I personally would have tried to help the guy out weather it be on the water or on the road (unless of course he was a total a-hole). I think if things happen on the side of the road it is easier to contain and clean but in water where it can be screwing up alot of other things, well lets just let the right people that know what they are doing and get paid for it, do it. You are right we just don't know the entire story. I do believe people should be responsible for their actions no matter what. People that don't take responsibility for their problems pee me off a lot worse than the Barney Fife's of the world.

We just don't know all the facts and we all know what people say about opinions :).

You mean spills on the side of the road are easier to hide and walk away from because they soak into the ground, and where do you think that chemical spills on soil go to.........the water table, runoff into streams etc.

The guy in the truck was wrong and we all know it, however there are other ways to handle the issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.