Washdown pump

Jzervos

Cadet
I recently discovered that my washdow motor is no longer running. I have a fresh water resevoir and the option of pumping water in from the hull. I do not know much about the washdown motor or how easy or difficult it is to replace. Also I am not sure if this is an expensive item or not. Any help would be appreciated.

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Washdown pump

I'll presume the motor is not eroded crusty. Motors are pretty industrial items. Float switches on the other hand will die yesterday! Start by checking fuse/circuit breaker, float switch, check electrical connections (esp butt connectors), probe for voltage at the pump before pulling it out. If everything looks good, try turning the motor by hand (without current!) to see if it is frozen. Sometimes a simple 1/4 turn will get it up and running if it hasn't been used for a while. Also, if the pump was run dry AND it is NOT a dry-run model, it’s possible for parts of the impeller to disintegrate and lodge in there. In that case, clean and replace with new impeller.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Let me guess ... is it a ShurFlo pump?<br /><br />Washdown pumps fail all the time and one of the most common manufacturer's makes utter junk. They are not hard to replace. The best of the bunch of them is the C-60 system by Groco, but its quite expensive, below that you can buy something from Jabsco in either a general purpose pump, like the "Water Puppy" or maybe something like the Par Max system. Figure to spend between $100 and $400 for a 12-volt system though. Oh, and they are all pretty heavy power users when the pump is running so make sure you have adequately sized the wire to run them.<br /><br />Thom

97trophy

Seaman Apprentice

I would like to add a washdown (saltwater) to my boat. Does anyone know of a kit out there that is available for this purpose.