warning signal when having starting problems

jjboor

Seaman
I have a '88 120HP Evinrude (BE 120TLCCA). when I was boating yesterday I ran out of fuel(I have rather small tank @ the moment)<br />When I filled the fuel tank and tried to restart the boat, the engine had quite some troubles getting started.(why?) And after some tries the alarm signal on the remote control started giving a non stop beep when I turned the key?<br /> Is this a glitch in the system or am I being warned that my starting engine is getting overheated? Or something else? I've had the same troubles when having a bad day starting the 'Rude and being forced trying to start her quite a few times.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: warning signal when having starting problems

As your gas was running out, the oil was still pumping full. There's just an imbalance in the system that should work it's way out. If you want to hasten the process, remove the carb drains and flush them by pumping the bulb until good gas runs out. You may also have a bad primer bulb. You'll be able to tell if you have trouble flushing the carbs.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: warning signal when having starting problems

I just fought a few battles with fuel/oil-related alarms.<br /><br />Me thinks your fuel pressure sensor is causing the alarm. A bubble of air managed to sneak into your fuel system when you ran out of gas.<br /><br />This sensor looks like a cylinder with a square base. Two wires exit the square base area. This can be located on the port side of your engine towards the forward area. <br /><br />If you have any doubt, disconnect the wire to the sensor and the alarm will silence. Electrical disconnection can be done via removing the screw terminal to the tan wire, just aft the sensor.<br /><br />If you find your fuel filter, look a few inches forward -- you'll see this device.<br /><br />As Mr. Wright suggests (and I learned from experience,) your engine is pumping oil into a lean fuel condition.<br /><br />As suggested by Mr. Wright, you may be able to "pump out" this air bubble. It may aide you to carefully remove the fuel line as it enters the VRO pump (also on the port side, forward the sensor.) --Pump out air with your bulb--and reconnect and clamp.<br /><br />Best of luck.<br /><br />Ken