WARNING If you use Photobucket

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer
If you use photobucket and delete your pictures in photobucket . The pictures will no long post in the iboats forum.. I already tested by reloading my picture and went back to my forum to reload and it was already there.. So beware...<br />I hope I said that right.. In other words don't delete pictures in photobucket that you have posted in the iboats forum.. I deleted pictures last nite and they were gone this morning in the forums..<br /> :) :D :)

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Re: WARNING If you use Photobucket

Because the
>Learn something new every day, huh Barb

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Dave Abrahamson:<br /> Had to post again....didn't like 666 posts :eek:
superstitiuos are we? :D <br /><br />Watch out for black cats :p

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

D.A.. OK I kind of understand what you are saying.. But once a picture has been sent to another web-site for posting( like iboats). It should still remain there, even if I delete the picture from photobucket.. Oh well.. that does explain it though..Thanks.. By the way I don't like 666 too..Try being born on the 13th, that will scare you also..

QC

Supreme Mariner

BD,<br /><br />The picture has not "been sent to . . . iboats", only the link to the pic. So if you delete the pic from the hosting service it is indeed, gone. ;)

Xcusme

Commander

If the pic hosting site changes policy or has a melt down, your pics are gone too. Folks should know that they almost always have another option. Use the web space that is given to them thru their own ISP (Internet Service Provider). It's sometimes called your Personal Web Space. ISP's can give you any amount they want, say 10 or 20 megs of storage per email account. You can upload your pics to your own web storage space and not worry about Photo Bucket changing their policy (no more direct links to your pics OUTSIDE of Photo Bucket -for example).<br /><br />It easy to administer (add-remove) pics to your own webspace with a small FTP program. Windows has an FTP component built-in to copy files to your web space too. Either way, it's easy and you have complete control over the whole process. <br /><br />Your not limited by the type of files you store in your 'storage space' either. The files can be anything from picture files to program files.<br /><br />Ever have a large file you wanted to email to your folks in Florida, but the file was too big for the email server to handle? No problem. Upload it to your storage space and send the folks an email showing the 'link' to the file. They click on the link and the file starts to download directly into their computer...simple.<br /><br />Their are many advantages to 'hosting' your own files as you can see. ;)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

that's why when I post my pics, they are on my site...you'll see the prefix www.keltonkrew.com<br /><br />had too many problems with the free sites!

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> that's why when I post my pics, they are on my site...you'll see the prefix www.keltonkrew.com<br /><br />had too many problems with the free sites!
Amen...

oddjob

Commander

I been with sony for a while..no probs.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Xcusme,<br /><br />I was doing just waht you describe, but my "free trial" web page maker has expired. I am confused. Does the windows based FTP allow me to post pics on my site?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

it should. You should be able to get with your ISP and find the space requirements, ftp address, user id/password.<br /><br />then you can create folders through the ftp so you can place files.<br /><br />I have my website created with multiple folders to easily manage my content.<br /><br />the photos that I post on the message boards are all in a folder called temp so I know they don't belong to my website, but rather just some BS files to share.<br /><br />It's really easy once you understand the concept

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br /> Xcusme,<br /><br />I was doing just waht you describe, but my "free trial" web page maker has expired. I am confused. Does the windows based FTP allow me to post pics on my site?
Yup....<br /><br />Your 'web page maker' program is just a small program for you to create web pages, text, pictures etc. It then allows you to 'upload' those web pages (and the pics therein) to your web storage space. If you don't have a web page, you still have the storage space available. You can store any type of file in that space.<br /><br />One more thing......most ISP's give you more than one email address. Each email address has a storage space of it's own. If, for example, you have 5 email addresses available for you to use, and each one has a storage space of 20 megs, you have a total of 100 megs of storage. As long as you are the primary account (most folks are), you can use all of the storage spaces.

KaGee

Admiral

Does not matter which site hosts your pictures... if you delete them of course they wont be able to post! <br /><br />Duh! :rolleyes:

LadyFish

Admiral

Barbara, try using tinypic.com. Its easy to use and your pics will stay.<br /><br />Good luck! :)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

don't even mention a tinypic around here...that's not funny :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Xcus and KK,<br /><br />Yeah, I already have the site and the web page, but the temporary use of the web page maker has expired, so I was struggling on what to buy or do next. It sounds like I can post pics to my feee storage space without the web page maker as long as I figure out how to use the FTP thing in Windows. Know how to start that? i.e. Start, Run, C:\*****.exe

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

actually, you can even use ftp in your web browser.<br /><br />in the address bar type ftp://yoursite.com. Your site should give you a login/password prompt. at that point you can create folders, move files over etc.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> actually, you can even use ftp in your web browser.<br /><br />in the address bar type ftp://yoursite.com. Your site should give you a login/password prompt. at that point you can create folders, move files over etc.
I tried that and I was blocked by Adelphia (my ISP). Password is right, but says I don't have access . . . Hmmmm. So back to the Windows based thingee. Know how to start it?