Warning Buzzer but not Overheating - Need Suggestions

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, I've spent all afternoon testing my engine to see if it was overheating or what. The warning buzzer never sounded, so I need some thoughts.

Here is what I did:

1. Used a big rubbermaid tub and filled it with water and placed drive down in the water
2. Ran engine for like 15 minutes between 1000 and 2300 RPMS and warning buzzer never sounded
3. Temp at temp sender on block stayed steady at 158 (using IR therm)
4. Temp at thermostat housing/sender stayed steady around 150/155 (using IR therm)
5. Manifold on port side stayed around 170 (using IR therm)
6. Manifold on starboard size stayed around 175-180 (using IR therm)
7. Water in rubbermaid tub got up around 110 degrees (using IR therm)
8. Never overheated and buzzer never sounded

Now, here is what I think will set the alarm off:

1.) Low Oil pressure (how about high oil pressure?)
2.) Gear Lube reservoir (I don't think mine has one as I cannot find it if it does - What would it look like?)
3.) A short circuit somewhere

Here is my questions:
1.) When the boat is in the water (and only in the water), is there ANYTHING that could be shorted out that would cause the buzzer to sound?

2.) Is there any other switches that would set the buzzer off?

3.) It looks like my oil pressure switch wire connects to my temp sender (on the thermostat housing), and then from there to the dash. Is that correct?

4.) If the warning buzzer goes off again when I put the boat in the water, what should I check, and what I should I check it with? (Want to make sure I'm prepared when I get in the water)

Thanks so much again for all your help!

Chris

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Warning Buzzer but not Overheating - Need Suggestions

Well, looked through the wiring diagrams and found that the oil pressure switch does connect to the water temp heat switch on the thermostat housing.

So I guess the first suggestion would be to disconnect the oil pressure switch wire from the temp sender and see if that stops the alarm/buzzer.

If it does stop the buzzer, what should I check next?

If it doesn't stop the buzzer, I assume that would indicate a short circuit somewhere, correct?