Warming up rough - Holley carb problems?

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
1993 24' Baja Outlaw w/502 mag Bravo I<br /><br />The boat starts fine, but runs rough once the choke starts to close during the warm up. When it's finally warmed up (choke fully closed) it runs and sounds great. It's just that "warming up" phase where it runs rough. I have to goose the throttle a bit and keep the rpms up to keep it from dying until it's fully warm.<br /><br />I call it "cold-natured", but I think there's something wrong in the carb. The carb is a Holley marine, but not sure of the model (4160 maybe?). I'm thinking a 600 cfm would be about right for that motor, but it's only a guess.<br /><br />Anyone got any ideas on the problem and how to correct it?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Warming up rough - Holley carb problems?

Do you mean "once the choke starts to open (release). On a cold motor, once you depress the throttle, the choke butterfly closes immediately. As the motor warms up and throttle is applied the choke linkage comes off the cam and the butterfly starts to "open". It's all controlled by the temperature sensitive coil spring, under the black cap on the left side of the carb. Once the butterfly is closed, it would never open if you stayed at an idle and never opened the throttle.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Rufnek, Like Boomyal said ,when starting a cold engine try pushing the throttle fully forward once and then back to neutral. This allows the choke plate to "close"within a 1/4 inch of fully closed and gives the motor a shot of fuel for starting. The electric element should slowly allow the choke plate to open fully. The choke is adjustable if it is not working properly.

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry - I'm a little dyslexic in my description. At least you guys can decipher what I meant...<br /><br />The mechanic says he thinks there might be water trapped in it somewhere or maybe some debris/deposits in jet? <br /><br />So it sounds like a choke issue - just an adjustment? If so, how do I adjust? I think it's an electric choke, but not sure on that one either...<br /><br />The boat is used, so I don't have the luxury of any manuals. Where do I get some literature on that carb - Holley or elsewhere? I'll probably have to rebuild that sucker someday (hopefully not soon, though) and would like to have something to refer to.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rufnek100:<br /> If so, how do I adjust? I think it's an electric choke, but not sure on that one either...
It's all controlled by the temperature sensitive coil spring, under the black cap on the left side of the carb. Once the butterfly is closed, it would never open if you stayed at an idle and never opened the throttle.
You will see two wires off of the black cap. The cap is held on by a three screw retainer spring. There are lines scribed in the cap and one on the carb casting. When the motor is cold, loosen the three screws, and rotate the cap in one direction or the other, till the choke butterfly just closes. Then retighten the screws. Make sure the throttle is open before you do this. You might check before you adjust. The rough running may be from not enough choke.