warm up lever

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
I have an 74 Evinrude 115hp starflite and for some reason I can only get the boat started with the warm up lever on. After I get it started it seems to run fine. Ill shut it down and try to start again and I have to use the warm up and and hold up the choke every time I start. It will never crank on first try always have to do these 2 things any ideas as to whars going on

tjatech

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same motor, and recently started having a similar issue. I don't have to use the choke to start it, but I pretty much always have to use the warm up lever.

Does your motor idle at a reasonable RPM? On these motors, the warm up lever simply advances the timing. I think the problem on mine is that the idle set point is so low that it will barely stay running, so starting is very difficult.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If it is running fine once started and warmed up, don't worry about it. It's not like lifting the lever is a big deal. All motors have their own "personality".

However, if you want an explanation, the link & sync might be a tad off, or idle speed set to slow, causing it .