warm hard starting issue

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
1996 Larson Cabrio 280 twin 5.7LX alpha 457b100js ; 0f780089
Fresh tune up with distributor caps,rotors, wires, plugs, fresh oil changes fuel seperators, all merc parts and fluids. Two new batteries for this year. Timing is right on. Motors have roughly 121 hours only. Always maintained and cared for.

I was starting to have some issues with a hard start end of last year, seemed like I had to pump the gas 10 or so times to get everything to jive - This year performed the minor tune up and batteries now it starts great when cold - couple pumps and 1/4 throttle it starts right up.

If I run it for 30 -40 minutes and get to full temp(140-160 range) and shut down(idle down usually for 5-6 minutes) and let it sit for 30 - 40 minutes, start up blowers for a couple minutes engines will both start but I need to crank the gas to get it going(8-10 pumps). I haven't tried opening the engine hatch and start yet(sealed pretty well) but have been told it may be my issue.

Any thoughts/suggestions/complaints/comments for what to check next weekend when I get back to the boat?

Thanks

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: warm hard starting issue

I haven't tried opening the engine hatch and start yet(sealed pretty well) but have been told it may be my issue.

Great place to start - it's free. If you are vapor locked, all the pumping in the world won't help if there is no gas to pump.

Next, head up to the adults only area and download the manual for your engine, also check out some of the troubleshooting guides.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: warm hard starting issue

Start with 180Shabah's advice. See if that makes a difference. If it does, check your air intakes; they may be blocked. From how I read it, you're saying that both engines are difficult to start when hot. That basically rules out anything related to an automatic choke on one engine. Two failing simultaneously is rare unless they're both electric chokes and you're losing electrical power to their circuits. Possible, but unlikely. I'd suggest you look at whatever both engines share at startup: fuel supply from the tank, electrical power from the battery switch, air supply. I've seen auto battery cables fail under heat conditions; check all your cables, including grounds. Check the main fuel feed hose. They have been known to collapse internally, especially those not suited to the new E10 gasoline. (This would be my first guess as to what's wrong.) To check your fuel supply, you could disconnect your tank feed and connect a portable tank instead. See if that cures the problem. If so, check the fuel pickup, tank valve, and line. Good luck and let us know what you find. Hy