Warhorse wrote about the Military in another post

Link

Rear Admiral
Didnt want to take away from the other post or change the subject of its intended theme.<br /><br />You wrote:<br />-------------------------------------------<br />In my 30 year air force career I saw a change in the profile of what it took for career progression. It was becomnming a one-mistake career; if one had a blemish in their record they were not promoted because others promotion records had perfect careers. The old time leaders were guys who had gotten in trouble in their youth and were not afraid to take personal risk for something they believed in (hence getting in minor trouble that showed in their record). When I retired, the modern air force was becoming a career of people who were afraid to speak their opinion or take a personal risk for fear of dead-ending thier career progression. They are brave in battle but overly cautious in peacetime management of their affairs.<br />------------------------------------------<br /><br />So well said.<br />My cousin went into the 82 Airborne in 69 or 70 and I caught up with him there in 71. <br />This guy was one of the BEST Soldiers I ever worked with. <br />Tuff as nails, wild as the wind and lived just to go to work.. He Loved the Army life.<br /><br />I watched him make E5 three times LOL<br />Anyway by the mid 70's the PC thing got him booted. <br />The Army lost one of their best.<br /><br />Jump a head to 83 Our LT(02) was just about to make 03 the next month and be a company Commander. Great career track. Came home and found his wife with another.. went to the "O" club and had one too many.. just one. Blood Alco for that state was .08% and he was .08% (4 beers in two hours)<br />A enlisted or NCO might have gotten away with it in 83 but not a Officer in the now then PC Army.<br />In a short 2 1/2 hours he lost his wife and a very good career. <br />This was on a Saturday night and by noon on Monday he was a civilian.<br />Bloody damn shame.<br /><br />Would like to see our Military going back to being controlled by the Military as far as careers go for the enlisted. <br /><br />And 05 and below as the same. Always been a bit of a PC thing for Officers..(esp 06 and above) who you marry and how Tea parties go etc etc<br /><br />Just thought Id throw my .02 in here

Twidget

Commander
Re: Warhorse wrote about the Military in another post

My Dad was a pilot from the mid 50's until '79. <br /><br />After Viet Nam, he took an assignment teaching ROTC at a university close to my Mom's hometown.<br /><br />Basically, his career got derailed because the Colonel was a partier and my parents werent. Those brownie points add up in the officer corps evidently. <br /><br />That was in the early 70's, I can only imagine what it is like now.