Ward sea king 025-3562 1.5 hp

gunman724

Recruit
model 1g5 025-3562
ward sea king 1.5 hp manufactured 48-50
Motor has sat for some 20+ years
After cleaning the gas tank putting grease in lower unit and a new spark plug a little gunk in the carb this motor started on the 9th pull.
Now here is my problem. It will start easily now after running always on the first pull/run fine on slow--but when lever is moved to fast the engine immediately shuts down?????
I put some sea foam in the gas mixxture and am wondering if I let it run is it possible for the carb to clean out enough to correct itself or will I need to take the carb apart (which I have never done)
Thanks for any suggestions!
Gary

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Ward sea king 025-3562 1.5 hp

Sounds like a dirty carb or fuel system. Pull and clean the tank and fuel line, make sure the in-tank strainer is clean if it still has one. The carb is not that complex, it's probably gunked up from old gas and other crud. Can you post a photo? The sea foam may help a little, but it's no substitute for a cleaning.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You did try enriching the high speed mixture, right? A very likely suspect is the in-tank strainer. Remove the fuel line and see if you get a good flow from the tank.
On those Tillotson carburetors the slow speed was more likely to be the first to gum up than the high speed, so there is hope that the carb is OK. Tillotson parts are hard to find.
By the way, those numbers belong to a Goodyear Sea Bee, not a Wards Sea King. Same basic motor though.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you do decide to take the carburetor apart, remove the high speed needle before removing the carb bowl. You can remove it in one piece, needle and brass adapter as a unit. Failure to remove it first is likely to damage or break the needle. Did I mention hard to find?