War on Drugs?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
A while back a bunch of people from 4 states were under investigation for the distribution of illegal drugs. This investigation went on for 3 1/2 years. <br /><br />I'm just curious how many people has ruined their lives with these drugs do to the DEA's long term investigation? I personally feel that the way they handle the investigation in this manner is wrong. I realize they do this to find out who is responsible at the top. However they didn't get all the way to the top on this investigation.<br /><br />I think if they would just do illegal searches and take the drugs they find without a charge/arrest would work. Keep this action up and the dealers will either quit or move. It sounds wrong, but hey, if its a true war on drugs, then go after the drugs and destroy them. Eventually those that deal with the stuff will get tired of the DEA or whoever taking their stuff.<br /><br />This way the taxpayer isn't burdened with crowded jails and courts. Just the money for the law enforcements time to do the drug searches.<br /><br />Just my opinion that 3 and half years of permitting the sale and use of illegal drugs is too long by the law enforcement.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: War on Drugs?

Yea what's the drug dealers gona do, holler that the police took their illegal drugs illegal like or something?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yep, they can't sue the police for false arrest or illegal search since they arn't being charged with anything. Just that their drugs are being consficated (sp). At least the drugs wouldn't be used.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The reason the investigations take so long, SSM, is that they need hard evidence to get a conviction and a long sentence.<br /><br />If they could bust and jail these people as soon as they know what they are up to it would only be nice until a Grand Jury returned a no-bill and the baddies hit the street again, smarter. :(

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Originally posted by SS MAYFLOAT:<br /> Yep, they can't sue the police for false arrest or illegal search since they arn't being charged with anything. Just that their drugs are being consficated (sp). At least the drugs wouldn't be used.
That's based on the assumption that there is no corruption within the DEA and other agencies. Ya never know.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

SSM, I for one would surely not want public officials to have that kinda power...just a thought :)

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If they were serious they must destroy the crops at source. They could get rid of the heroin while they are in Afganistan chasing Al-qeda instead production has increased because the taliban had a tough way of dealing with poppy growers. Unfortunately to do these things cost money and lots of it so until then drugs will find there way onto the streets.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

The war on drugs is a total failure, and has been for a long, long time. Amsterdam seems to have a pretty good system for it.<br /><br /><br /> Drug War

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> SSM, I for one would surely not want public officials to have that kinda power...just a thought :)
I agree, Chief. <br /><br />Surely in four years of investigating they had at least enough to get a search warrant! Otherwise dontcha think some agents are about due for a career change?

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Well, if you take the drugs illegally you can be charged with theft. Believe it or not, there are idiots here who call the police because someone stole their drugs. The police have to arrest the person and charge them with theft. The original owner gets busted as well though. I have not followed these cases through their entire process, because it sounds so rediculous. So I can't tell you the out come. I always picture a judge and prosecuting attorney, laughing their arses off in the judges corridors.<br /><br />However, I agree that the war on drugs is lost. Probably because someone up at the top is involved, and deals are made after certain knowledge is acquired.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I spend much of my youth in Amsterdam No self respecting young kid would be found in the "coffee shop".As 16 year olds we much preferred to sit on a terrace, order a beer and oogle at all those beautiful young girls passing by on their bicycles.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I have always had an idea to do away with all anti-drug laws except one.<br /><br />Make it a serious offence to become addicted to drugs. Define addiction as they do in AA (If you have problems because of a drug, you are an addict).<br /><br />After all, it is the end user that causes all of the problems. Focus in on him.<br /><br />Plus once the drugs are "legal" the price will fall like a rock and it wont be very profitable.<br /><br />Ken

bubbakat

Captain

Ken said
I have always had an idea to do away with all anti-drug laws except one.<br /><br />Make it a serious offense to become addicted to drugs. Define addiction as they do in AA (If you have problems because of a drug, you are an addict).<br /><br />After all, it is the end user that causes all of the problems. Focus in on him.<br /><br />Plus once the drugs are "legal" the price will fall like a rock and it wont be very profitable.<br /><br />Ken<br />
You are right on this, the price or street value would fall by the way side. Now here comes the kicker.<br /> You would not be able to afford medical help because all your hospitals would be running over with drug addicts needing medical help.<br />Now the morgue would start filling up and no place to take your loved ones who have passed.<br />I know, everyone is saying well their druggies let them go. They would eventually all die out. Problem solved, Wrong, Look at all the children that has been born at this era of drug infestation and the medical problems they have. Now I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't turn my back on the children.<br />Drugs are a plague and if you will read the bible god said before the end of time he will send plagues and what ever to test us. He also said he would never put more on us then we could bear either.<br />We are in need of reform in our fight against drugs but it is going to take the general public getting involved to do this.<br /><br /><br />Sorry guys for the long post. I normally ain't like this.