Wanting something else....13P to ?....

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just took the boat out for the first time over the weekend, 2 separate days, different bodies of water. Here is what I have, and what I want to have:

1) What I want? More speed, less cavitation
2) Make/Type of prop? Mercury Aluminum
3) Size and pitch? 10 3/8 x 13P
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load? 5500RPM - 32-35MPH
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP? 2004 Mercury ELPTO 60HP
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight? 2004 Triton 163 Sport (16' aluminum bass boat) 780lb dry w/o motor

Basically I want more speed out of the rig, and less cavitation. When I hit the gas, just easing up on it...it seems to 'lose traction' some and I tend to trim it down to ease that. Also, it will easily go to 6000RPM without a sweat, and I believe the redline on that engine is 5500. I have pushed it to 5800 and it still could have gone more.... I would like to be able to go WOT and be around 5500RPM...no more.

I ran a prop wizard online and it said that for my boat, wet weight (approx 1500 lbs w/1 person) and for speed I should go with a 10 1/2 x 15P.

The prop that is on there is in excellent condition. I just think the prop doesn't have enough pitch. I am wanting to get to 40 MPH and not have the prop cavitate when throttling up.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wanting something else....13P to ?....

Is your speed by GPS?Just guessing but I would say unless the Triton is considered a fast boat your close to where your going to be.It does appear you need to increse pitch
and based on your rpm you could probably get more speed.Take a look at the Turning Point Hustler props.Should solve your venting issues and are said to deliver SS performance at AL prices.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Triton's are considered one of the fastest (bass) boats on the water, albeit their 70+ MPH bass boats are the fiberglass models with the 250HP engines...but nonetheless they are known as a light/stable fast boat. I know I could push this to 40 :)

I will checkout the Turning Point props, just need to know some sizes to try. Also, I believe you're correct...I am having venting issues, not necessarily cavitation. I used to race R/C gas boats, and we commonly used the term "cavitation" as this slip I am referring to....I believe what is actually happening with my engine is venting.

Also, the speeds are by GPS.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just did the prop wizard again online, and for a Hustler prop, they are recommending a 10-1/8 x 15 prop for speed. Good suggestion? :confused:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thats what I would do_Once you have the hub its relatively inexpensive if you need to try a different prop.You could have a Hustler for every occasion
for the cost of a SS.If the Hustler is successful with the venting you may even be able to raise the motor a hole to get a touch more speed.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Second vote for Turning Point prop. Although I suggest the Legacy, it is the same propeller design, but it uses the standard Merc hub. If your current prop has a removable hub, then all you will need is just the prop.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just ordered the 10-1/8 x 15 Hustler with hub, for less than $80 online. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the input :cool:

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Keep us posted after you get it installed.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just wanted to update that the new prop, the 10 1/8 x 15 Hustler is great! Got her up to 38MPH at 5100 RPM (WOT)....the RPM's are much better now, instead of hitting 5800 on the tach...and it doesn't hardly vent anymore when you get it going. The 38MPH was with 2 large adults and completely loaded down....I'm sure if I lightened the load I could get 40 :)

Thanks for the help!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Allways nice to here of a success.Gives everyone 1st hand results to draw on.