Want to Slow Boat for Trolling

STRIPMINER

Cadet
I just replaced my 130 with a 150, it's running great and is very fast. The problem is she is a little bit too fast, for trolling. <br /><br />I need to get my GPS speed down to around 1.8 ( MPH ) and I am having a hell of a time doing it. I can get down to 2.4 if I drag two five gallon buckets. The pitch of my prop is 17". I am not crazy about adding a "happy troller" or anyting like that. Does anyone have any ideas for me ?? maybe a drift sock ? <br /><br /> - Tom

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Want to Slow Boat for Trolling

You need trolling plate (which you said you don't like) or better yet, a 9.9 HP kicker.

mattttt25

Commander

idle set too high? what are your rpms when just in gear?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like you are getting ready to for some tube and worm fishing. <br /><br />Suggestions that I have received:<br /><br />- Lower engine idle as much as possible<br />- switch to a different pitch prop for your trolling trips (just need to watch WOT rpms)<br />- try trolling with engine trimmed out (just make sure it is still getting water for cooling)<br />- trolling plate<br />- buckets<br />- drift socks<br />- electric or gas trolling motor<br /><br />Good luck

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know what size boat you are running, but a 17 inch pitch prop on most setups is at the least a good cruising prop. if you aren't goingto be doing a lot of high end runs, might want to try and pick up a 13 inch even for trolling speeds, of course your rig isn't going to fly with that on there either.<br /><br />Best bet, wait for a windy day and let the wind drift you around

STRIPMINER

Cadet

Ive got a 20 foot Wellcraft V20 and yes I am tubin' with it. My old engine would let me get nice and slow but the new one is just too fast. My current idle RPM's are 800. I am not into high speeds so maybe the 15" pitch is the way to go. Ill have to give it a whirl. Still open to more ideas though, let me hear them please !!! <br /><br /> - Tom

t4tr

Recruit

I have a 2004 Maxum 1800SR3 w/ 4.3L Merc. I purchased a "Troll-a-Matic" spring loaded trolling plate through Cabela's for about $60. Mounted to my cavitation plate in just a few minutes by drilling 4 holes. I am quite happy with it. Am able to troll in the 1.3-1.6 MPH range according to my Lowrance Ifinder GPS. I would like to mount an electric trolling motor to my outdrive instead, but don't have the room when motor is trimmed all the way up. Bolt on swim platform is in the way.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

800 rpm in gear is slightly high. Once you get down to 650-700 it should be fine. Your gears will be happier too.