Want to share a problem and fix.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've had a sluggish hole shot for some time on my '85 150 XR2. I've done everything I could think of with no solving it. Then, I went fishing last Wednesday and the motor went completely bizerk. It would start and run OK, but when you throttled up to take off, it would fall on it's face. If you worked it real slow, you could eventually get on plane and it ran OK. I decided to rebuild the carbs as that was the last thing left to do. I pulled the top carb, pulled the middle carb, pulled the bottom carb. When inside my work shop, took them all apart and started soaking them in carb cleaner. They looked like they had been cleaned a few yrs. ago and there was only one float that need adjusted.

I went back out to the motor and decided to see if I could check the reeds without taking them off the motor. That's when I found all my problems. Two of the bleed hoses, where they slide over the fittings, were hard as a rock, cracked and one had fallen off. I replaced all the bleed hoses, put the carbs back together, installed them, did another link and sinc and took it to the water. This motor has not run this good since I've owned it and I'm guessing it runs better than it has for quite a while.

I read on here, a lot of folks having the same problems I was having, so check those bleed hoses people. You might be glad you did. I know I am a very happy boater.