Want to add additional rollers

Hello, I recently bought a 1985 Invader V160 with the 90 horse outboard. Boat is in fantastic shape and runs real well. My only concern is the trailer. It was very few rollers. (It also sits very high, but the keel is close to the crossbars on rollers) I can't find any roller sets online. I'd like to just add a couple sets ready to bolt on.
I've already replaced the wheel bearings and wheels/tires.
Anyone know where I can find a couple sets of rollers with brackets for not too much money? THANK YOU.
20220530_095309.jpg20220530_095331.jpg20220530_095346.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Greetings . . .

Those rollers do not look like they will hold much weight, because of the design - cantilevering away from the cross bars.

You could get 4 or 6 roller 'sets' (4 rollers each set) and associated mounting hardware, but be prepared to spend about $150 per set.

Google your way to some options.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Not easy to add rollers on a Calkins.
Same as my first Boat. I tested it with a 90 merc, and bought it with a 140 Evinrude. It too was on a Calkins, but the older style.
FYI the Boat is a Flip of the Crestliner Cruisader 550Invader2a.jpg

Not easy to add rollers on a Calkins.
Same as my first Boat. I tested it with a 90 merc, and bought it with a 140 Evinrude. It too was on a Calkins, but the older style.
FYI the Boat is a Flip of the Crestliner Cruisader 550View attachment 361951
Thanks for the picture, looks a lot like mine! I really like the boat, just don't think the trailer is adequate the way it is, plus it sits so high.

Greetings . . .

Those rollers do not look like they will hold much weight, because of the design - cantilevering away from the cross bars.

You could get 4 or 6 roller 'sets' (4 rollers each set) and associated mounting hardware, but be prepared to spend about $150 per set.

Google your way to some options.
Yes, I have tried searching he net, and I agree that my rollers are not adequate. I'd hate for my hull to be damaged from too much weight on too few points of contact. I may try to make some bunks and get rid of the rollers.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
You could spread the Rollers a bit further apart, to lower it a bit, the Crossmember(s) will rotate to redistribute the load. Roller Trailers do tend to put the Boat higher. Switching to Bunks... You need deeper water to Launch/Load with bunks.

Your trailer already has 2 more Rollers than usually seen on Calkin Trailers for boats like your. Most only have 1 Keel Roller on the Cantilevers

Bondo

Staff member
You could replace with bunks, or buy a new trailer. ?

Running 2x6 bunks between the crossmenbers would be cost effective and add lots of support.
Ayuh,....... Ditto,.....

You could replace with bunks, or buy a new trailer. ?

Running 2x6 bunks between the crossmenbers would be cost effective and add lots of support.
Thanks. That's what I've been thinking. I'm not a fan of rollers since all the weight is concentrated on small spots of the hull.