want fast electric troller

basszzilla

Seaman
I have a small 12' john boat that I have been experimenting with different trolling motors. I have run everything from a 30lb to 101lb thrust motor. my problem is there is not much speed difference with the different motors. the big motors get going quicker but cruising speed isn't much faster than the small motors. I want more speed. is there such a thing as a speed prop for a transom mount trolling motor. :eek:

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: want fast electric troller

I think you're running up against your boat's displacement speed, which is governed by the length of the boat. You won't get _any_ faster without lenghtening your boat, or getting it up on plane by lightening it and adding a lot of power. For that, I figure you need around 300lbs (~4-5hp) thrust or greater, in addition to the proper propeller.<br /><br />Hope this helps!<br /><br />EDIT: Clarification: by 300lbs I mean "trolling motor pounds", not actual pounds of thrust. That would depend on the prop afterall.

Drowned Rat

Captain

basszzila. Trolling motors of all sizes are designed to only go 4 to 5 MPH. The bigger motors give you more torque only, not more speed. They are proped that way and the RPM are set to run no faster. So called "speed props" are not available and there is a reason. A prop that would give you extra speed and lower torque would draw more amps. Drawing more amps than was intended on these motors is not good for them. The motor windings cannot handle the extra load. They will overheat and eventually short out and quit. All this is what the manufacturer will tell you.<br /><br />That said, there are some options. Model airplane propellers can be easily modified to run on your trolling motor. These props have a very steep pitch compared to boat props and they will give you extra speed. The only modification you need to make is the shaft hole diameter usually needs to be made bigger and a sheer pin slot needs to be cut. You should look for a prop that has a slightly smaller diameter than the prop you're using now. This will alow it to spin faster and not draw too many amps. Also make sure you get a prop that spins the right direction, clockwise or counterclockwise. It may take a little experimenting, but the props are cheap. Around $5. Good luck.

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Moving to Electronics & Trolling Motors.