Want a boat, but don't know which one...

marker227

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all, I'm new to the forum of boating!

I'm completely new to this realm .

I liked the West Marine compact and Zodiac, but have no experienced or idea which one would suit my needs. I do know that I need a boat the size of the west marine compact. It has to be inflatable for storage reasons in the house. If possible seat 2 people.

I don't know how much HP is good or where to get a boat with a motor for a good deal.

Thanks for your help!

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Want a boat, but don't know which one...

What do you plan on using the boat for ... for eg. fishing, ski-ing, diving etc etc .....

cstellwagen

Cadet

The folding transoms are nice as they allow for a smaller stowed dimension but do not perform as well as the traditional style RIBS with the fixed transom. You have decided that the boat needs to hold two people but more importantly you need to decide what you are going to actually use it for, what water type you are going to be using it in and finally how much HP you want to put on the back of it.

The only people making the foldable transom other than West Marine would be Avon and Bombard. Hope this helps out some.

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I want to use it in salt water in a bay area.

I have no idea on the HP...

I want something decent and fun to go around the waves with. I don't want it to be slow or go around 5 mph just to cruise only.

highN'dry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you want to go around the waves or over them?

marker227

Seaman Apprentice

I honestly would like to enjoy doing both.

cstellwagen

Cadet

If you are looking for a boat to just cruise around in and are going to leave it inflated all the time , the best boat type would be a RIB or a wooden floorboard model. RIBs will tend to be more expensive as a new 10ft boat will average around $3000 where you could get into a floorboard boat for under $1500.

Motor wise I would recommend at least a 8 HP.