wanna go faster..........

astrobass1

Cadet
I have a 2010 skeeter sx190 with a yamaha 115 4 stroke. I read on a outboard website I can change ratios in the lower end and change prop pitch and get another 10-12 mph? Anyone heard of this or how?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: wanna go faster..........

Anyone heard of this or how?
If it was that simple we'd all have done it 500 times already. Manufacturers would too. Nope. You can't go more than 2 or 3 MPH faster without more power. This assumes things are right now. You probably need to read up some over in the Propeller section just for ejamacation. What is your speed now (GPS) and what is your RPM?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The most improvement in performance is available in fine tuning the balance, rigging and the prop.

Go to the Prop Forum to find how to select the best prop and fine tune the outboard height and trim for best all round performance.

Changing the gear ratio is a lot more complicated and expensive than changing the prop.

astrobass1

Cadet

If it was that simple we'd all have done it 500 times already. Manufacturers would too. Nope. You can't go more than 2 or 3 MPH faster without more power. This assumes things are right now. You probably need to read up some over in the Propeller section just for ejamacation. What is your speed now (GPS) and what is your RPM?

With GPS 1 person 1/2 of tank fuel general fishing gear. I can run 47 mph trimmed @95% wot at 6k
How about a jackplate?
This boat shouldent have issues I bought it last year as left over inventory it had 7 hours on the engine..

QC

Supreme Mariner

Retest at 100% WOT. Speed is not bad for a 115.

Edit: I can't find any bots that break 50 with a 115, even a 2 stroke. Boattest.com