Walleyehed, SS prop

Walleyehed, SS prop

Walleyehed, thanks for your input. I am reviewing both your post and I think you know what you are talking about and can help me. All I want to do is change over to SS BECAUSE of longivety. I am happy at 5200 rpm's and it is not an issue. Performance is fine also. I replaced one aluminum prop at $140 already and I figure if in 2 yrs on nicks and dents, I will have paid for the SS prop. My concern is changing over to SS and being at the least where I am right now or even closer to 5500 rpm's but not less or over. That is all I am trying to accomplish. One fellow at the boat show (1 of 5) seemed OK. He recommeded going to 13 3/4 X 15 cupped SS. and I will be right where I am now. (aluminum now, 14 1/2 X 17). Also he says this business of adjusting motor height for where I am and what I am doing, is not necessary.<br />Your thoughts and further comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Walleyehed, SS prop

Re: Walleyehed, SS prop

First of all, are you telling me your current 14-1/2X17 is un-cupped??? Or is this dealer telling you the 15" SS will pull as hard as an alum. prop.<br />You'll have to excuse me, as I'd like to go back and see what details I may have missed on the previous post. I'll edit back after researching them.<br />EDIT: with the size and style of boat you have, I'd stay away from any prop under 14-1/4" diameter. I don't feel we will need a vented prop based on RPM now. I do feel, however, the person that told you height is not an issue, has given you a red flag to stay away from him, and I can prove why....we'll get to that later...<br />This may not be exactly what you wanted to hear, but I believe the starting point for you is not the prop-yet..But beings we are going to leave the engine where it's at, we'll continue on..There are about 20 manufacturers that have SS props for this application.<br />First, I'd recommend staying at or above 14-1/4" diameter due to the type of boat and the fact a smaller diameter in the smaller pitch requires more positive trim for the same ride, at a slower speed, and less mpg.I do feel we want to go to a 15" pitch though.<br />I understand your wish to keep engine height as it is, but I want you to know there IS possibly some hidden performance with the engine on the transom.<br />I have 4 recommendations I believe will all fit the bill for what we want to achieve, each slightly different, but should be good choices.<br />Stiletto, Turbo 1, Yamaha performance series 3-blade, and #4., you'll have to email for that recommendation, as it's not on the market yet, and I'm not allowed to speak of it just yet.<br />What I'd like to see by staying at 14-1/4 to 14-1/2 on the diameter, is less blade drag at high RPM, but still have enough blade to lift properly, and I strongly recommend a 15" pitch because the props I listed will "pull" just a tad harder than an alum prop, but should equate to about 100-150 RPM gain, if it's a little more that's ok too. Worst-case would be we had to add a slight bit of cup to the 15 for just a tad of extra bite to lower the RPM just a bit, but I think it will be close.<br />If you will email me, I will give you the info on where to obtain the 4th prop (it's not mine if anyone is thinking that) From there we can make a good choice for a purchase.<br />ktsander@st-tel.net