Wall Street Journal by Bob Williams

Link

Rear Admiral
Folks when I heard the interview with him yesterday over the article he wrote he was spot on. <br />I can say this because I have over the last 35 years worked with local and federal goverment in emergency / disaster situations and I know how the system is supposed to work<br /><br />Commentary by Bob Williams Sept 6 2005 WSJ<br />"Blame Amid the Tragedy"<br /><br />Its not that New Orleans didn’t have a plan but, they didn’t follow it. No one took charge .<br /><br />I started to type this yesterday but had not read the article yet so I waited until last night when I could buy the paper and read it first.<br />Just to make sure he wrote what he said in the interview.<br /><br />Quote:<br />"The federal goverment does not have the authority to intervene in a state emergency with out the request of a govener. President Bush declared an emergency prior to Katrina hitting New Orleans, so the only action needed for federal assistance was for Gov. Blanco to request the specific type of assistance she needed. She failed to send a timely request for specific aid."<br /><br />"The actions and inactions of Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin are a national disgrace due to their failure to implement the previously established evacuation plans of the state and city. Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin cannot claim that they were surprised by the extent of the damage and the need to evacuate so many people. Detailed WRITTEN plans were already in place to evacuate more than a million people"<br /><br />Anyway if you want a good read that is spot on look it up. I wish I had the means to post it but I dont.<br /><br />He explaines how the system is supposed to work in detail and its not all about blame just a well written article. <br /><br />He also goes on to explain "I am not attempting to excuse some of the delays in FEMA's response."<br /><br />Very worth reading, and guess what? Seattle is just as bad when it comes to leadership and a real plan that works for evacuation.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wall Street Journal by Bob Williams

Blame, blame, blame.<br /><br />For God's sake, wont SOMEBODY wait until all the facts are in?

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: Wall Street Journal by Bob Williams

He explaines how the system is supposed to work in detail and its not all about blame just a well written article. <br /><br />What part of that didnt you understand JB