Wake Boarding Son

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
My son wants to try wakeboarding this summer and looking at the price of these things I wanna make sure he gets a suitable board. Any suggestions for the beggining wake boarder?

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wake Boarding Son

He's 13 and about 120lbs. I know he'll have a hard time trying to get up, so I guess I'm looking for sometype of 'Fat Albert bat' board.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

no need to find a 'fat albert bat' board, I have big and fat friends that ride my small boards with no problem and they love it :) (no offence to them) ..... the board from the link from my post above would be perfect for him, or something in that line ....... enjoy ....

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get lace up bindings probably a medium size. Lace ups are more ajustable - that way he can use them for more than one season and everyone can use them. If they are hard for larger people to get into then use some shaving cream or liquid dish soap to help slide into them.

turbodriven

Seaman Apprentice

Wanabe - your son at 120lbs is going to use a 128cm-132cm board. He can use any board but the bigger it gets the harder it will be for him to progress. If you put him on a 140cm-142cm board it will feel like you strapped on a cinderblock to him when he tries to jump or spin.
I know this because last season my girlfriend started on my CWB 139cm board. She could get up fine and go back and forth but you could tell the board wasn't really for her. So we got her a Hyperlite 132cm and the very first time up on it she was zipping back and forth and (attempting) jumping wakes with a smile on her face. It just fit her better. She didn't feel bogged down with a huge board anymore.

If you are looking for some professional help getting out of the water I would recommend disk 1 of "The Book" wakeboarding instruction DVD set. The disk is titled "Getting Started". You can find it on ebay or in any wakeboarding shop I'm sure. It gives you step by step instruction on how to wakeboard.

moomoo485

Recruit

I would either go to a wakeboarding shop and have them custom fit a board for him, or find a surplus seller that sells wakeboards (retail seller that sells last year's models). You will save lots of money. The best thing I would suggest would be an Obrian custom wakeboard. Cost is about 150-200 dollars and you can easily replace the parts as he grows and gets better.

sabastianunf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wake shops will cost a fortune for something he may or may not get into. Save your $ - go to west marine and buy something cheap. Get a cutom setup once he starts clearing the wake and wanting to do some tricks.I'd rather be surfing.

turbodriven

Seaman Apprentice

sabastianunf said:
Wake shops will cost a fortune for something he may or may not get into.

Blasphemy! Someone riding a wakeboard and then NOT get into it. I've never heard of such craziness before. d:)

ford-doctor

Recruit

You tellem brother.My son is 13 and has hooked me @my wife on this new drug they call wakeboarding i am 36 and she is 34 and have been on the water all or life and for the past few years we have been seeing wakeboards coming by our boat,not even wanting to try,because we were happy skying or tubing.But just let a 13 year old start clearing the wake behind your boat and you will have to try it