Waders for Tampa Bay

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer
I'm looking to buy waders to do some fishing in the Tampa Bay area. What kind of waders are best, neoprene or the old stand by, insulated, uninsulated, stocking or boot, etc? Do either of them hold up to the salt water better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated<br />Stalker

GatorMike

Ensign
Re: Waders for Tampa Bay

Hate to sound like a smart *** but I grew up in the Tampa Bay area and most of the locals just wear cut offs and a pair of old tennis shoes. This is Florida. Even in the winter hip waiders aren't a big seller.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Plus the darn things can be dangerous. A friend of mine was eaten by a pair several years ago. Stepped off into a deep hole....splash. Those waders took him straight to Davey Jones locker. And it was locked to boot.

jeremyeasen

Seaman

I've duck hunted for years in many unfamiliar lakes/ponds in several states and if you take your time in those places waders are not dangerous. The Bay does get fairly cool so waders are nice, but I would go with a lightweight style. I personally can't stand the stocking foot, so I use the attached boots. I dont remember the brand but the thin gore-tex membrane booted style would be my choice, either full height or hip style. If its really cold then just wear more under them...but if the air is warm but water is cool you have that option of wearing less as well. The most dangerous thing about waders not being able to get them off if you do happen to hit a hole. Yes it does happen, but mostly swamps not the Bay. As much as you would like to take advantage of pockets in your shirt or jacket....DO NOT WEAR A ANYTHING OVER YOUR WADERS!! You wont be able to unclip and get out if the snap buckles are covered by a shirt or jacket. I'll step down from the soapbox now:)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Waders or no waders.. Ya would'nt catch me wading around without them ray guard boots.. (i think thats the name?)<br /><br />Who know what critters ya might step on.. :eek:

GatorMike

Ensign

Been wading Tampa bay for 40 years with no mishaps yet. Just drag your feet, the rays will get out of your way.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Been using waders for a long long time!!!<br />The most important item to have and wear with waders is a " Wading Belt!!!!" It has saved me a couple of times!!!! Must be attached fairly tight but comfortable!!!! :D with the wading belt secure if you do fall it helps to trap air in the legs and acts as a life preserver and when in a river go feet first!!! I wear neoprene with the felt boot attached only because I like being warm and 1 less item to bring along"wading shoes"!!!<br /><br />The worst waders in my opinion is the rubber waders and rubber boots esspecially when walking or climbing over wet or slimee rocks!!! They are the #1 reason for lose of life when wading!!! Good way to comit suicide with nobody knowing your intent!!! ;) :cool: