VRO oil tank/sensor swap?

BigBassin78

Seaman
Would I be wrong in assuming that a later year model VRO tank and sensor such as a 96 will work with my 95 J150GLEOM harness? The tank and sensor look identical. The only difference I can observe is the actual harness connection, they moved to modular harnesses in 96. But the the 2 lead wires for the sensor are the same colors. If I splice the old connectors it should work right?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: VRO oil tank/sensor swap?

If I splice the old connectors it should work right?

The alarm systems are different. The 1996 and newer tanks have just an on-off float switch inside the tank for the 4 light SystemCheck warning system. The 1995 and earlier tanks have electronics inside the tank pickup assembly that generate the 30 second on-off beep to signal low oil.

If you put a 1996 or newer tank on a 1995 or older motor, then you will get a solid horn tone - same as an overheat or fuel restriction sound- when the oil level gets low. You will not know if its a motor problem or a low oil problem when the horn sounds loudly.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

My 92 has a 1996 tank on it. When the oil gets low, I get a solid tone from the control box, just as seahorse5 indicated.

BigBassin78

Seaman

Ok, thanks guys. That makes sense. I guess Ill try to hunt down the 95 model. Im having trouble finding the part number though. ********** doesnt have the oil tank section for my year motor? My boat is at a friends house, so I cant just run outside and look at the part. Anyways, thanks guys!