VRO/Fuel pump questions

Gamalot

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to wake up sleeping beauty after sitting idle for 8 years. She is a 1985 Evinrude V4 90 HP with VRO, Model # E90ML CRD. The motor is essentially brand new with just 6 hours on the meter but the previous owner was sick for a long time before he died and I got the boat.

I want to completely bypass the VRO system all together and need to know if I can buy a straight fuel pump and adapt it to my engine. I don't trust the 28 year old VRO pump with fuel pump attached and would like to loose all the oil lines and just plug that portion of the system up. I did read the article about just bypassing the VRO but still using the attached fuel pump.

I am pretty handy with the tools but not too savvy on the VRO system and which lines that will need to be plugged and/or removed. I kind of hope that a simple fuel pump off a NON VRO 90 or 88 Special will work if anyone has that info.

I already rebuilt the carbs and replaced the water pump today and there was one oil line or tube that had a tiny filter in it attached to the carbs and it just crumbled to pieces. Looked like a clear plastic line unlike the rest of the black rubber lines.