VRO disconnect '93 Evinrude 40hp

Normandy

Cadet
Need to know what to use to plug oil inlet at pump and hose coming from oil tank. Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: VRO disconnect '93 Evinrude 40hp

If you have converted this to a conventional fuel pump,there is no need to cap off any oil leads.If you are continuing to use the VRO as only a fuel pump ,then a one quarter inch rubber vaccume plug can be bought at the local parts house.Install it at the hose inlet fitting ,just below the fuel quick connect,where the external hoses enter the lower cowl.Clamp it good and you should be OK.

Normandy

Cadet

Also need to know what wires to disconnect. Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Look at the back of that pump and you will see a harness that runs to a black rubber plug.That plug will have 4 wires in it. Purple,gray, tan and black.Unplug that plug ,tape off the non pump side cause you,ve got voltage there,mix your fuel, remove the engine fuel connector and pump fuel into a clean resepticle until you get mix,and you should be off.

Normandy

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Will be giving this a try.

Normandy

Cadet

One more question about VRO wiring. Can anyone tell me from where the purple, gray, tan and black wires originate that are found in the plug. Thanks

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Normandy,<br /><br />The purple wire is the 12V lead from the key switch that powers the oil-flow computer on the back of the VRO. The computer compares the number of oil pulses with the motor rpm from the tach lead (gray), and if they do not match, it sends an alarm signal thru the tan wire to the horn on the dash (or in control box). Black is for the ground circuit.

Normandy

Cadet

Seahorse5,<br />Thanks for the information, I think that answers my question quite well. It may explain why I get the no oil alarm once in a while when running at low speeds. I<br />believe I will do away with the VRO and go with the pre-mix.