VRO click erratic and air in fuel supply lines..

deviljohn

Seaman Apprentice
1994 V6 Johnson 150 HP 60 degree...Have had idling, low rpm backfire (lean), woes since purchasing this "re-built" engine. Have rebuilt all carbs, new spaghettis on both throttle bodies, compression good, inspected pulse limiter (blue type)

engine idles like sh*&^*&, but when up to about 1800 rpm or so, kicks in and runs like it should..no high end rpm woes....except very poor fuel economy..may be the nature of the beast...

Have also rebuilt air-motor and fuel diaphragm (and assoc. washers etc.) on the VRO. VRO is capped and disconnected, pre-mix fuel supply. I also swapped a capped VRO pump off an older 140 and same symptoms below repeat.

Further trouble shooting, today, put clear 5/16 hose at: a) barb on fuel supply line at in-line filter...b) both sides of carb intake tubes.

here's what is going on:

fuel in appears to be bubble free..ie. no air-leak from the tank to the in-line filter barb...

while idling (w/ flusher), w/ tight bulb, pump clicks about every 10 sec or so as expected; however, as fuel continues to flow 30-60 sec or so, pump begins to click more and more rapidly, as well as erratically, when I pump primer bulb tight, it calms back down....now, also noticed that as pump begins erratic click, AIR very obvious in both lines between carb intake tubes and VRO assy. outputs.

I believe that the air-motor shaft seal in the intermediate housing must be bad and allowing crank gases to pass to the fuel diaphragm side....although visual inspection doesn't reveal any obvious defects....

the in-line filter doesn't appear to be leaking, and the o-ring seals at the fuel out let on the bottom of the vapor separator and the o-ring seals at the fuel pump outlet appear to be OK...

Any knowledgeable OMC guru's out there that have seen this symptom??? PLEASE HELP ME>>>...I'm ready to go fishin and quit wrenchin...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: VRO click erratic and air in fuel supply lines..

For a 60* V6 looper to have a bad idle something is way wrong. Plus those are normally great on fuel. And the 1994 motors did not come with a VRO pump. It should have an OMS pump with a 4 wire harness and replaceable fittings.

Start by taking compression. Make sure there's no water in #1 cylinder. Make sure you have Champion plugs. Use fresh 87 octane.

deviljohn

Seaman Apprentice

compression is good all 6, 105 psi +/- 5 psi, no evidence water in #1, champion QL78YC's, std 87 octane gas (which I assume all has some degree of ethanol these days...) Yes has OMS 4-wire-disabled and capped at the pump...pre-mix fuel supply, fresh, new tank, new hose etc..

Mechanic listened to fuel-pump and stated it was the problem, thus I installed the air motor parts and fuel diaphragm...any further ideas ??

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You'll need to locate the air leak. It could be a clamp around any of the hoe & fittings. Make sure you use the right clamps and not a metal screw clamp where it's supposed to be a nylon tie-wrap. Use the ones from BRP if possible, they have a curved seat.

deviljohn

Seaman Apprentice

roger that...it could be as simple as the inline filter o-ring and gasket, although nothing seems awry there....

I feel confident that there is air getting in somewhere in the fuel pump assy, as evident w/ the clear 5/16 hose tests on the outputs...I've got the OMC manual, but no vacuum gauge....so I've got instructions on testing the air motor/fuel diaphragm...

I know about the ratchet type BRP plastic clamps, the fuel lines I assume are as old as the motor.....14 years, I did snip off 1/2" at the fuel outlets and re-tie wrap...

Of note is that the white Vacuum switch leads are disconnected w/ no apparent leads to connect to....hmmm, now seems to me that fuel should not reach this line unless the float/needle in the vapor sep. failed (i've checked that as well) perhaps the vap/sep float gasket?? seemed ok when I checked, could be that the plastic has warped over time and not seating properly...seems like primer bulb pressure would indicate a fuel leak if there...

dunno it's a damn mystery, but I still wonder if the pump click getting more frequent and erratic is normal...sounds like it ain't....

anyfurther input welcomed, thanks

deviljohn

Seaman Apprentice

I found an entire fuel pump assy (pump and vap sep. etc..) on ebay to fit this engine. Put in new parts (air motor diaphragm, fuel diaphragm etc..) Pump is now working as should. No air going to the carbs..

I suspect that crankcase gases were bleeding over to the fuel diaphragm side via the intermediate housing seal..hopefully problem is solved and my rough idle blues and poor fuel economy is a thing of the past...