VRO – temporary disconnect?

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1987 Johnson 70hp VRO that is in new condition and I am installing it temporary on a boat while I’m fixing the boat’s original engine. The problem is there is really no place to put the oil tank on this boat. Will it hurt the VRO pump to disconnect and plug the oil line? I know that this is done as part of disabling the system but I don’t know of anyone that has ever re-enabled the system after the pump has been trying to suck from a plugged hose for awhile.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: VRO – temporary disconnect?

If you just cap it, it'll give you a warning horn. I think you can get by with just T-ing the gas line to the oil fitting too. But I've never actually tried that.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

It'll be OK Cap. Just remember to run premix and disconnect the alarms till you reconnect. Then, when reconnected, do a through check of alarms and run a can of premix with the VRO hooked up to verify the pump is taking oil from the oil tank.

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. It’s finally on and running. Capped the oil inlet and removed the wires from the oil tank. 50:1 mix of course. Runs great, no alarms. Surprisingly simply and should be just as simple to reconnect.