VP 5.7 OSXi FWC warning light puzzler

nwripple

Cadet
2006 VP 5.7 OSXI FWC. overheated while running slow in kelp. turned off, cooled down, started up, all good...temp looks good on gauge, no alarm, but the warning light has stayed on.... if the key is on, the dash warning light is on. manual says nothing about a warning light. anyone know what this may indicate? how to re-set it? Oil, coolant, gear lube all look good, batteries strong ... I am puzzled and the mech can't get to me for a while. help? thanks

nwripple

Cadet
Re: VP 5.7 OSXi FWC warning light puzzler

PS - it is an I/O (XDP-B outdrive, with bellows replaced) and it has about 205 hours.

nwripple

Cadet

anyone??? hottest day of the year up here, hoping to go out if this can be fixed easy. Thanks for any ideas.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've worked on a lot of Volvo's , never seen one with a warning light.
When you overheated, did the alarm sound? and then stop after cooling off? If so, then you may have something set up by the boat manufacturer or even a previous owner.
Start looking around for a temperature switch that shouldn't be there. When you find it, take the wire off and see if the light goes off. If it doesn't, it's the wrong switch, try another. If the light does go out when you take the wire off, you found the switch, and it's probably bad and didn't reset after the overheat.

nwripple

Cadet

thanks don - there is only one light, and no instruction as to what it is for. when i got hot, the alarm sounded and the temp gauge was high; i turned it off immediately and when i started it again, buzzer alarm was off and temp gauge was normal (170, about, on gauge)...light stayed on...all three have been same since (no alarm, normal temps, light on. .....seems to be very happy except for the light..... so this temp switch you reference - on the dash or? not sure what you mean. I did disconnect the two wires that plug on to a sender near the heat exchanger etc, and motor did not like - loud alarm, on off on off til i plugged that back in ... had no effect on light. thanks for your help and thoughts. i am going to mfr tomorrow to see if they can shed any light on the light.