VP 5.0 entering engine protection mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice
2003 Volvo Penta GXi-B
DP-S

Recently I had my engine go into engine protection mode on two different occasions.
This happened one time about 2 months (5 uses) ago but the problem went away after putting the shifter in neutral.

However this weekend the problem would not go away until I shut off the engine. I dropped the anchor and did a very brief inspection to see if there was something obvious that was wrong. Could not see anything. When I started the engine to head back everything seemed ok until i got up on plane and hit some chop and the engine went back into EPM. In fact the times that I have had the problem it has been when the boat has bounced in the chop. When I got home I put on a code reader but the ECM had no stored codes (all 12s).

I should also point out that the gauges report 140F for temperature and 60psi on the oil pressure.

Any ideas of what I should do next.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 5.0 entering engine protection mode.

One other thing will cause it to go into EPMode, that is High exhaust riser temperature. There is a sensor in each riser. Could be corrosion, faulty sensor, or even a weak impeller that when in rough water may be sucking some extra air and not pumping as much. Those impellers should be replaced at least every other year.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

Don,

I already have an impeller and will put that in right away. As for the riser temp sensors can those be tested with a ohm meter? Also when you say corrosion are u talking about the riser sensors or something else? Risers are just a year old.

Thanks

Don S

Don,

I already have an impeller and will put that in right away. As for the riser temp sensors can those be tested with a ohm meter? Also when you say corrosion are u talking about the riser sensors or something else? Risers are just a year old.

Thanks

A few things strike me as odd. You have an impeller and haven't changed it, must have suspected it right???? An why would you replace the risers and not the manifolds? They age the same.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

A few things strike me as odd. You have an impeller and haven't changed it, must have suspected it right???? An why would you replace the risers and not the manifolds? They age the same.

Well I have the impeller b/c I always carry a spare with me. Manifolds and Risers were done at the same time.

Don S

Yes, you can test them with an ohm meter. All they are is a temp switch, so if they are activated you would have continuity between the terminal and the housing.The switchs should close at 160?, so checking the risers with a temp gun can verify the temp.
One other question, does the warning horn sound? Does it work??
One other note, the oil pressure switch and the overtemp switchs on the engine can also put it in EPM. These are NOT the gauge senders but they should have set a code on the scan tool.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

One other question, does the warning horn sound? Does it work??
Yes it sounds. 2 quick beeps, pause, 2 quick beeps, pause.

One other note, the oil pressure switch and the overtemp switchs on the engine can also put it in EPM. These are NOT the gauge senders but they should have set a code on the scan tool.

No code so I will concentrate on the risers and impeller for now. Also, what about electrical? Could that cause an issue? I was thinking maybe some wire is loose/corroded and bouncing around it may be shorting or loosing connection.

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

Don S or anyone who can help,

I replaced the impeller last night. The old impeller did not show any signs of wear and tear.

Also I got an OEM manuel for the EFI system and it says I should have steady beep, not the beeping pattern i getting 2 quick beeps pause. Do you know if this means anything?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.