VP 3.0 Block Drain

Sooner44

Seaman
2004 Volvo Penta, 3.0 with SX drive:<br /><br />I only found two drains on the 3.0, one on the right side of the block and one on the underside of the manifold. I read in several threads that there are drains on each side ?? is this true with the 3.0 ??<br /><br />Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 3.0 Block Drain

Yes, there is only one drain on the block of a 3.0L engine. Only a V6 or V8 has one on each side.<br />There is also only 1 drain on the exhaust manifold.<br />Run a piece of wire into the open holes to make sure they are clear and allow the water to drain.<br />Don't forget to drain the raw water pump and hoses.<br /><br />PS: I really hate answering questions about "Where" are all the drains. Simply because I can't see the engine and don't see the things you (and others) didn't think was necessary to ask about.<br />But that's not a problem really. Gives us something to do in the spring with all the broken blocks, manifolds and cooler posts that usually start in late March.

Sooner44

Seaman

Thanks for the info !!<br /><br />I have winterized my Merc 3.0 for 25 years, but this new volvo has too many hoses :) <br /><br />Power steering, raw water pump and all the associated hoses that the merc dont have.<br />I took all hoses lose and drained, poured AF in the hoses the best I could, put the hoses back on, drained the block and manifold, poured AF in manifold short hose to T-stst. and left block drains open. You think I'm ok ??????

vipzach

Lieutenant

Do you have a power steering cooler? I don't know if the volvo's have them or not, but if it has one, you need to drain it also.<br /><br />As cold as it got here last night, I hope it isn't too late!!

Sooner44

Seaman

Yes, I have the power steering cooler, took hoses off and drained that also.