VP 290 A sp pds bearing removal

Matt2e

Cadet
I have a Aq 171c with a 290A sp out drive. I recently had replaced the u joints but the shop I had this done in did not want to tackle the pds bearing. I now have to do it myself. I have read Don,s post about how this is done, with the engine removed. I am wondering if I can do this with just removing the out drive from the boat. I have a V P manual, but it does not state how this done. Thank in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 290 A sp pds bearing removal

If you are real lucky you might be able to.
You can remove the upper gear box, bellows, and seal out of the flywheel housing. Then remove the snap rings. Now here is where you need the luck. You need to get some big vise grips, protect the splines on the shaft with some soft aluminum of copper and see if you can pull the shaft out. I've never been that lucky, but some say you can. Normally there is enough rust and water that went through the bearings and seals (the reason the bearings failed to begin with) that the splines are rusted into the flex plate.

Matt2e

Cadet
Re: VP 290 A sp pds bearing removal

Thanks Don. Must be beginners luck. Had to use the Dremel and grind a bit out of the bearing races and pull the balls out individually. Luckily the pds wasn,t too seized into the flex plate splines. My arms are sore from wiggling it though. Now to start hunting spare parts....