Vovo Penta outdrive clutch

Bski

Seaman
I think the clutch between the engine and my outdrive is out. I'm not 100% sure cause I can drive the boat up to 30mph about 3000 rpm but can't get it to pull any higher than that.<br /><br />Several years ago I heard a rattling sound coming from the area where the outdrive and engine join, I asked a boat mechanic and he said that one of the clutch springs was probably broken. <br /><br />The boat ran fine and after I stopped to wait for a friend I tried to take off and it acts like it's cavitating and can't pull out of the hole, I can slowly get up to 30mph but it feels like I'm dragging an anchor behind the boat.<br /><br />I've never pulled an outdrive and don't know exactly what is between it and the motor. <br /><br />Anyone ever experienced a similar problem?<br /><br />Sorry for the long post, appreciate any suggestions.

Bski

Seaman
Re: Vovo Penta outdrive clutch

One other thing I thought of was that maybe my prop is spinnin on the hub. Not sure if I would be able to get up to 3000rpm or not though, plus the motor won't wind past 3000.<br /><br />Only other thing would be the cone clutch.<br /><br />Anyone got any other ideas?<br /><br />Thanks,

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Bski.<br />There is NO clutch between your motor and the outdrive.<br />You have a "damper" bolted to the flywheel which looks like a clutch plate without the friction material faces.<br />This is only used as a cushion but as the springs wear into the seats you will hear them rattle at low rpms. If the springs in the hub break then they leap out of place in the worst case but usually there are 6 - 8 of these little critters and they would all have to leave their homes to permit the hub to slip.<br /><br />The FWD & REV clutch in the outdrive may need adjusting at the shift fork.<br /><br />Check for DonS for answers on that one.<br /><br />Peter

Bski

Seaman

Peter, thanks for the reply. <br /><br />What really boggles my mind is that everything was fine and I stopped for a few minutes and upon powering back up it was acting like it was cavitating.<br /><br />I did check the prop, it seems to move but I think I'm actually turning over the engine.<br /><br />I'll search for DonS posts.

Bondo

Staff member

I did check the prop, it seems to move but I think I'm actually turning over the engine.<br />
Paint Mark the Prop, the Hub,+ the Pullys,......<br /><br />Then you'll Know What's Turning....... <br />
What really boggles my mind is that everything was fine and I stopped for a few minutes and upon powering back up it was acting like it was cavitating.
Ayuh,..... Well,. If we Could time our Breakdowns,..... They'd Never Happen ......... ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a spun prop to me also, but it could also be the drive. What year and model Volvo is it?

Bski

Seaman

Hello Bondo and Don S,<br /><br />I tried the prop again and had my son watch the pulleys on the engine, as I turn the prop I am turning over the engine. I will try the paint mark trick.<br /><br />It's a 97 Volvo penta 5.7 litre, GS model.<br /><br />I ran it with the hose today and was able to bring it up to 4700 rpm while in gear. So it's only under a load that this happens.<br /><br />What is really confusing to me is that I get locked in at 3000 rpm max and you can hear the secondaries open on the carb so the motor is trying to wind up but something is holding it back. Best analogy would be a giant anchor off the back and it's pulling back on the boat.<br /><br />Wouldn't a slipping clutch in the drive allow the motor to rev up? I'm trying to compare this to a clutch slipping in a car. Can a clutch in an outdrive slip and grab as to hold the boat from achieving high rpm?<br /><br />My only other thought at this point is maybe a restriction in the fuel system but I would expect the motor to start bucking as it starves for fuel.<br /><br />I wish I had more experience with this, cars and motorcycles I don't have a problem with but this problem is baffling me.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />Brad

Don S

I was thinking you were getting a higher rpm after 3000, only no more speed.<br />Sounds like a fuel problem. Air leaks in the fuel system, are a big cause. Or partially plugged fuel pickup tube in the tank or partially plugged antisiphon valve.<br />Having the wrong size hose clamps on the fuel lines can cause air leaks also. The 1/2" wide clamps flat spot the hose. use the 1/4" wide mini clamps. Leaky fuel filter gaskets or water in the fuel is also a possiblility.

Bski

Seaman

Don, I'm sort of suspecting fuel to be the issue too. I did pull the water separator off and drain it but it didn't make a difference. I put on a new water separator/filter today but can't get out to the lake to run it right now. <br /><br />The one thing that is weird about it being fuel is that there wasn't any surging like it was starving for fuel. I have had fuel problems on cars I built in the past and they will surge under load if they don't get enough fuel.<br /><br />I did put some paint on the prop and it's defineitely not spinning on the rubber piece. <br /><br />If I have an air leak it came about all of a sudden cause like I said before, it was fine when I throttled down and 2 minutes after that it started acting up.<br /><br />One other thing I can tell you that might have added to the problem, both my exhaust manifold couplings were leaking water, don't know when this started. I tightened the clamps and that took care of that. I thought maybe some water got into the carb but I ran it for awhile and it still did the same thing.<br /><br />Last of all I can tell you this, I have a cummins diesel in my truck and it has a governor that shuts off the fuel at 2700 rpm, this problem reminds me of that except that the cummins will pretty much shut down but the boat motor acts like it's fighting to keep reving but something is pulling on the rear. Almost as if I've got a skier that weighs about 500lbs and he's holding back the boat.<br /><br />I appreciate the help, if you think of anything else I'm all ears. I may just bite the bullet and take it in to a shop, I just don't see them being able to troubleshoot it out of the water.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Brad

Don S

Check the fuel pickup and antisiphon valves. Problems always start that way. One day fine, next day bad. These kinds of problems take a lot of time to cure when you are doing it over the internet with someone that can't see of feel the engine and what it's doing.

Bski

Seaman

Where are the fuel pickup and antisiphon valves located?

Bski

Seaman

UPDATE: Looks as if it was the exhaust flappers stuck in the tubes. <br /><br />Replacing flappers and for extra insurance I will clean out the anitsiphon and fuel pickup. <br /><br />I will post later how things turn out, probably 2 weeks before I can get it back to a lake :mad: