Vovlo Penta 4.3 gi cracked block

Cadet
Looks like I've run into a bit of a snag for the 2009 season. My 2000 4.3 gi has a cracked block.

The question for the formum is, does the lower unit have to be pulled in order to remove the engine. I am contemplating replacing myself, depending on how in-depth the entire job is going to be.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Vovlo Penta 4.3 gi cracked block

does the lower unit have to be pulled in order to remove the engine

No, the entire drive must be removed. You will also need the ability to lift engines 6-7 feet in the air. The rest is pretty straight forward. Make sure a proper alignment is done prior to reinstalling the drive.

Rustychain

Cadet

I am also preparing to replace a 4.3L Volvo-Penta that goes to V-P SX outdrive. In some posts, people claim they could slide engine forward to remove and replace engine in without pulling the outdrive. Can someone explain why this is a bad idea? It seems I have plenty of room. I have never pulled an outdrive or boat motor, but have done several car & truck engines, and have large hoist.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Besides being difficult, you need to adjust the engine/drive alignment after you put the engine back in or you are going to be replacing an expensive coupler very soon and taking the engine out yet again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

rusty, but did you ever pull the engines with the transmissions or did you unbolt the trans first?
Engine alignment is very critical for the engine coupler. The motor is lifted off the rear studs I believe on volvo`s. How can you lift it with the inputshaft?
Even if you did manage to get the engine out, how would you check the alignment after it was back in.
correctly done is pulling the drive, then the engine, reinstall and verify engine to coupler alignment, reinstall drive.

Rustychain

Cadet

in a vehicle, I think the bellhousing takes care of alingment between engine and transmission. Have pulled pickup truck engines and always left transmission in the truck. With automatic trans, just unbolt torque converter from back of flywheel and pull engine forward and up. With manual trans, pull engine forward and the spline shaft of the trans separates from the internal splines in the clutch.

so thats why I'm having trouble understanding why it's different in the boat bellhousing setup. I'll read up on how to remove the outdrive.