Vortex direct boat covers, does anybody know if they are decent?

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice
Does anybody know if the vortex direct boat covers are decent, for only $90 I was just wondering what they are like. are they durable? I think it will fit my 21' fish n ski boat if I get the 20' to 22' cover right?

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Vortex direct boat covers, does anybody know if they are decent?

I would like to buy this tomorrow if somebody could give me a review on it.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont know about the brand/store, but what are you looking for the cover to do. Just for storage or trailering?

I prefer a custom snap on cover for trailering, it cost a little more but they fit like a glove. MY first cover was a "generic" one and it worked ok for trailering, but not thay well.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I bought one from them in October last year to replace the basic cloth cover that was on my 19 foot Maxum. I did not want to spend several hundred dollars so for less than $100, I think it is well worth the money. Understand it is not completely "water proof" if rain is allowed to settle in pockets so make sure you still provide proper slope for drainage. It seems well constructed and where it meets the corners of the windshield which is where I would think it might most likely rip, I have seen no signs of any wear. I wanted to cover my swim platform so even though it is a 19 foot boat, I bought the bigger 22 foot cover and it stretches nicely and covers the platform. The cover will stretch down the sides so if that is the exact cover lenghth for your boat I'm not sure if you should go a little longer or not.
Mark

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

cool, well for the price I think I will go for it. I will only be using this for storage, I dont have a garage to put the boat in so I will need to cover it. My boat is 21' so I think the cover that fits up to 22' will do just fine. thanks for the input.

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

they just got the one I want back in stock. so do you guys think it will hold up for a couple of years and be a decent cover for $90

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

We've all experienced "you get what you pay for" and that may be something to consider here. Why are known, quality covers in the several hundreds while this one is under $100? Probably (though I really have not looked into your cover) is in the thickness of the canvas, protective coatings on it and the quality of the hardware. Compare and decide. Good Luck!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

they just got the one I want back in stock. so do you guys think it will hold up for a couple of years and be a decent cover for $90

I'm very happy with mine and see why it would not last for several years. As I put in my original reply, if rain water is allowed to form large heavy puddles you will get some water making it's way through. To get around this, I formed a little setup with ordinary pvc pipe that elevates the mid section to allow run off.

Mark

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Decent cover and $90 in the same sentence don't go together very well. I guess for $90 your not out much if it is a bad cover.