vonage

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone using this service? I've been wanting to check this out, but don't know anyone currently using it.<br /><br />Thanks, Spud

eeboater

Commander
Re: vonage

I have a good friend who uses it who also swears by it. He said the only "drawback" and I put that word in quotes on purpose, is that when your internet goes down, your phone goes down. Now, the reason it's in quotes is because you automatically setup a forwarding number in your account. So, if your internet goes down the phone calls you receive automatically get routed to your alternate phone. Say, your cell phone.<br /><br />Sean

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Broadband internet telephone.<br /><br />I tried a free online service a few years back. Bad echoes. I'm sure that's not anywhere close to Vonage, however. But I have a cell and that's enough for me. I rarely come close to using up my minutes.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I've had Vonage for about 7 months and love it. I can't say enough about how convenient it is... and inexpensive. The sound quality is as good as a land line. The best thing I like about it is the "virtual number". For 5 bucks a month I have a virtual number in Jacksonville so my kids who live there can call a local number and talk to me with no cost to them..... really great service.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is it? gonna replace your landline? does it work internationally? just curious.

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

So what if the service doesn't offer my regular area code? Does that mean anyone calling me would be making a long distance call since it's a different area code??

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I have read on their website, this is a phone service that uses your broadband connection for phone connections rather than the land lines in current use. The cost appear to be I think for 500 minutes, about $15.00 per month and unlimited about $25.00 per month.<br /><br />This sounds great because my current land line costs with all the crap, about $40.00 a month. Everyone who resides in my household has their own cell phone, and the $15.00 plan looks attractive.<br />You can use your existing phone no. and get caller ID and voicemail ect.<br /><br />Thats about what I have found out.<br /><br />Spud

rogerwa

Commander

Don't forget all of those telecom taxes they add on which you would avoid. I have heard good things as well. As I understand, it requires about 90Kb of dedicated bandwith when the phone is in use..

KennyKenCan

Commander

All I know is, that I got that stupid song from their commercials stuck in my head!<br /><br />It truely is driving me up the wall!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I will stick with my 4 cent a minute calling card, it gets me 625 minutes of long distance for $25, from any phone, to any phone. <br /><br />But I use less than 100 minutes a month anyways, so its less than $4.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

It costs $24.95 per month with unlimited calls anywhere in the USA and Canada any time of day or night. Call waiting, caller ID, call forwarding, all included. And if you get it on my recommendation we can both get some free time.. 2 months I think.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

My wife can call her family in Greece for .08 per minute using Vonage. If they had Vonage it would be free.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

If I came to visit any of y'all I could bring my Vonage box, plug it into your broadband and use it plus all my calls would reach me there.... really cool stuff.

Twidget

Commander

How does Vonage work with multiple phones? My broadband connection is in my home office. I have two other phones in the house, kitchen, master bedrooom.<br /><br />It sounds almost too good to be true, my Father in Law lives in Germany. That in itself would be good reason to change.

aspeck

Staff member

Art, so this would work from Ghana? Hopefully we will have a reliable broadband in about 3 weeks ... I could really use this. Please email me their website and any info I would need from you so you could get your free months. We may be interested in going this route in a month or so. Thanks.<br /><br />speck at pennswoods dot net<br /><br />or<br /><br />oitc at ghana dot com

Twidget

Commander

Art, I would also be interested in getting the free time. :) <br /><br />twidget53 at yahoo dot com

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

aspeck.. just go to vonage.com and you can get all the info.